The Student Room Group

Are Student Finance messing me around?

I left Uni last November and was told I only had to pay back £2250 of my £9000 tuition fee but only after I earn £21,000. However online on the repayment website it says my Supplementary loan is over £3600!!? What the hell is this number?

I also have to pay back my loan and grant I recieved which I currently pay a small amount every month. The problem is I only earn £10,000 (apprenticeship) and they want me to start paying more! I thought i didnt have to pay back until i was earning more??
Reply 1
The supplementary loan is the income-assessed part of your Maintenance Loan, which will be repayable for the amount which covered the time after you left, and before your next payment was due.

Unfortunately the earnings threshold only applies under normal circumstances - if you leave after the end of an academic year or after your course ends. If you leave during the academic year, you will be liable to start paying off any over-payments, immediately.

You need to call the Student Loan Company and explain your circumstances. With such a low income you can expect them to be reasonable and hopefully they'll accept a token repayment of maybe £20 a month. There are no rules and each case is considered on its own merits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by smittyjaja
I also have to pay back my loan and grant I recieved which I currently pay a small amount every month. The problem is I only earn £10,000 (apprenticeship) and they want me to start paying more! I thought i didnt have to pay back until i was earning more??

You will only be paying back your overpaid grant directly to the overpayments department. Loan overpayments are actually paid back with the rest of your loan. That's why the Maintenance Loan is showing in your income contingent repayment schedule.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending