The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Postgraduate off-campus living 2015

Hi, please suggest and discuss options for postgraduates willing to live off campus for programs starting this October in Lancaster University...

In my opinion, things like rates, options, safety & hygiene and campus proximity etc. should primarily be considered...Also is there any female only off campus living option available...?
Original post by Sajia
Hi, please suggest and discuss options for postgraduates willing to live off campus for programs starting this October in Lancaster University...

In my opinion, things like rates, options, safety & hygiene and campus proximity etc. should primarily be considered...Also is there any female only off campus living option available...?

LUSU Living do have postgraduate accommodation in the city. One of my friends lived there last year and it was a nice big flat with a big kitchen and living area. He shared with one other person and it cost around £100/week which is more than average for Lancaster but a fair price for the size of the flat. I think they generally allocate these as same sex just because there's only two people in each flat.

Typically student rent in Lancaster is about £80-£90 per week but you can pay a lot less or a lot more.

There are a few student housing services like Yellow Door Lets, LPNM and a company called "Student Housing Lancaster". These tend to be a bit more expensive than non-student services but they tend to include all of the bills like gas, electric, internet etc.

Generally speaking all of Lancaster is safe but there are a few areas that students should probably avoid. North of the river, the Ridge estate and quite a lot of the West side of the railway are fairly deprived areas and have a higher crime rate. I know people who live in all of these areas and they've never had real problems but I personally wouldn't chose to live in them. In terms of proximity to campus there is a regular bus service between the centre of town and the university that runs along the A6 road, and another route that runs through Bowerham. This means that most students don't have to walk more than about 10 minutes to get to a bus stop.

I hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions I'll do my best to help. I used to rent from LUSU Living and I currently rent from a private landlord so I can only really speak about LUSU Living.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, thanks a ton ...! for all those details...i am taking up MSc in HRKM actually...

Yes, off campus living seems much cheaper as i see...i was about to finalize that 123 a week accommodation (postgraduate en suite) on campus though it would be really really helpful if i get anything within the range that u mentioned...firstly, i was considering : peace of mind :tongue: ...traveling cost to and from campus everyday (may b multiple times a day if necessary...though i don't have a clue as to how much a bus ride will cost me but i m guessing it should be lot less with a student card)...also for me it's only one year...and all those study pressure...i don't wanna spend too much time thinking about surrounding things since i gotta find scholarship and embark on my PhD (definitely that will never be possible self-funded.. :frown: )...and where n when should i contact for these off campus living actually can u tell ?...is online enquiry/booking on website is all i need to do ?

But I could save perhaps more than 100 a month this way only on rent as u mentioned ...

Ohh...btw...i am an international student and fully self-funded...so u know it's already gonna cost me a fortune anyway :frown: ...plus I am an Asian...Bangladeshi...not at all a nightlife person...just movies and music...and few hangouts or sports n exercise activities may b...a trip or two to Edinburgh and Manchester during this one year time...(I have been to London few times already) and i am all happy... i was wondering how easy it would be finding a suitable roommate for me...(i am a little worried how friendly it would be there)...otherwise i am alright...

I am not sure but do u have any idea about the coffee cost in Costa ?? I mean...i am coffee person n sipping all the time...(ohh...my budget seems so tight :frown: )...but it's an essential for me :smile: ...u know i was sooo happy that there is a Costa in LUMS n i don't have to cross too far :tongue:

any further suggestions and information on the above are more than welcome :smile: Thanks ...!
Original post by Sajia
Hey, thanks a ton ...! for all those details...i am taking up MSc in HRKM actually...

Yes, off campus living seems much cheaper as i see...i was about to finalize that 123 a week accommodation (postgraduate en suite) on campus though it would be really really helpful if i get anything within the range that u mentioned...firstly, i was considering : peace of mind :tongue: ...traveling cost to and from campus everyday (may b multiple times a day if necessary...though i don't have a clue as to how much a bus ride will cost me but i m guessing it should be lot less with a student card)...also for me it's only one year...and all those study pressure...i don't wanna spend too much time thinking about surrounding things since i gotta find scholarship and embark on my PhD (definitely that will never be possible self-funded.. :frown: )...and where n when should i contact for these off campus living actually can u tell ?...is online enquiry/booking on website is all i need to do ?

But I could save perhaps more than 100 a month this way only on rent as u mentioned ...

Ohh...btw...i am an international student and fully self-funded...so u know it's already gonna cost me a fortune anyway :frown: ...plus I am an Asian...Bangladeshi...not at all a nightlife person...just movies and music...and few hangouts or sports n exercise activities may b...a trip or two to Edinburgh and Manchester during this one year time...(I have been to London few times already) and i am all happy... i was wondering how easy it would be finding a suitable roommate for me...(i am a little worried how friendly it would be there)...otherwise i am alright...

I am not sure but do u have any idea about the coffee cost in Costa ?? I mean...i am coffee person n sipping all the time...(ohh...my budget seems so tight :frown: )...but it's an essential for me :smile: ...u know i was sooo happy that there is a Costa in LUMS n i don't have to cross too far :tongue:

any further suggestions and information on the above are more than welcome :smile: Thanks ...!

The bus is currently £2.50 for a return but when you're living off campus most people get a bus pass which is about £210 for three terms or around £300 for a full year (probably better as a MSc student as they tend to be 12 month courses) so by living off campus you would save money within two or three months. They work out as being £1 a day or less for unlimited travel in the Lancaster area (including Galgate and Morecambe). There is a slight discount on the bus pass with a student card - around £5 or £10.

IF you want to contact LUSU Living and ask about your requirements then here's their web page: http://lusu.co.uk/living/#How_can_I_contact_LUSU_Living
If you let them know you want a female room mate then that shouldn't be too much of an issue. They will allocate room mates for you unless you specifically ask to be with a particularly person. They are used to dealing with international students and most students at Lancaster are very friendly so this shouldn't be a problem. :smile:

Costa is quite expensive, around £2 I think. There are much better options on campus! There are two shops ("LUSU Central" and "LUSU Shop") that do good fresh coffee for £1. LUSU Central is quite close to the Management School. Plus they have a loyalty card so you get one for free when you buy 8. Also sometimes you get it half price (50p) with the student card. I know how important it is to have a good supply of coffee while working! When I was doing my MSc I brought in some instant coffee and made myself some every day. There are normally places in the department where you can go in and make hot drinks. You have to provide the coffee and a mug but you can get hot water for free.

Travelling to other places from Lancaster is quite easy. You can get a train straight to Manchester, Edinburgh and London. Liverpool is another great city to visit but normally you have to change trains at Preston or Wigan. Also my home town of Chester is really nice to visit. You have to change train at Warrington to get there, though.
Reply 4
Original post by Manitude
The bus is currently £2.50 for a return but when you're living off campus most people get a bus pass which is about £210 for three terms or around £300 for a full year (probably better as a MSc student as they tend to be 12 month courses) so by living off campus you would save money within two or three months. They work out as being £1 a day or less for unlimited travel in the Lancaster area (including Galgate and Morecambe). There is a slight discount on the bus pass with a student card - around £5 or £10.

IF you want to contact LUSU Living and ask about your requirements then here's their web page: http://lusu.co.uk/living/#How_can_I_contact_LUSU_Living
If you let them know you want a female room mate then that shouldn't be too much of an issue. They will allocate room mates for you unless you specifically ask to be with a particularly person. They are used to dealing with international students and most students at Lancaster are very friendly so this shouldn't be a problem. :smile:

Costa is quite expensive, around £2 I think. There are much better options on campus! There are two shops ("LUSU Central" and "LUSU Shop":wink: that do good fresh coffee for £1. LUSU Central is quite close to the Management School. Plus they have a loyalty card so you get one for free when you buy 8. Also sometimes you get it half price (50p) with the student card. I know how important it is to have a good supply of coffee while working! When I was doing my MSc I brought in some instant coffee and made myself some every day. There are normally places in the department where you can go in and make hot drinks. You have to provide the coffee and a mug but you can get hot water for free.

Travelling to other places from Lancaster is quite easy. You can get a train straight to Manchester, Edinburgh and London. Liverpool is another great city to visit but normally you have to change trains at Preston or Wigan. Also my home town of Chester is really nice to visit. You have to change train at Warrington to get there, though.

Whoaa ! loaddzzaa information !!!! Ok, I am assured now that ppl out there are really friendly :smile:

hmm.. i guess all i have to do now is to fix up on what works best for me....and living off campus will give me the chance to do a lil exploring as well i reckon...rather than being confined within the campus area...

Great !!! thanks for all those help :smile: really really appreciate.... !!!..tc
Original post by Sajia
Whoaa ! loaddzzaa information !!!! Ok, I am assured now that ppl out there are really friendly :smile:

hmm.. i guess all i have to do now is to fix up on what works best for me....and living off campus will give me the chance to do a lil exploring as well i reckon...rather than being confined within the campus area...

Great !!! thanks for all those help :smile: really really appreciate.... !!!..tc

No problem! If you have any more questions then I'm on TSR most of the time and you can drop me a personal message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending