The Student Room Group

Greatest Defender of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Pascal Cygan.
Sorry did someone actually just say Sol Campbell?
Titus bramble

A legend among men but shockingly underrated by those who know nothing about football.
Maldini or Baresi.

Vidic is the greatest Premiership CB ever though.
marcel desaily was beast
Reply 25
Puyol, koeman, Maldini, Nesta, baresi, beckenbauer, cannavaro. Those are the best off the top of my head.
Reply 26
From my lifetime, it's Maldini.
Der Kaiser, what a player that guy was, unbeatable and beautiful to watch.
Was going to put a joke comment, but there's enough of those already.

In all seriousness, for me, it has to be Igor Stepanovs.

Paulo Maldini's a close second.
Reply 29
Cannavaro is looked back upon with rose-tinted glasses. He was never exceptional. He had a brilliant World Cup in 2006, admittedly, but he was untested for years in Serie A and he never shone at Real Madrid. It was always laughable that he got the Ballon D'Or, in my opinion.
Original post by Mackay
Cannavaro is looked back upon with rose-tinted glasses. He was never exceptional. He had a brilliant World Cup in 2006, admittedly, but he was untested for years in Serie A and he never shone at Real Madrid. It was always laughable that he got the Ballon D'Or, in my opinion.

I agree. He won it because he won the World Cup. Same with Ronaldo in 2002.
Ian Harte :cool:

Probably Maldini, though I saw & looked up to Puyol more
Reply 32
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree. He won it because he won the World Cup. Same with Ronaldo in 2002.

Maldini is the greatest for me, but a few run him close from my lifetime.
Scirea, Elias Figueroa, Nilton Santos, Djalma Santos, Fachetti a few lesser known greats
Hipster spotted^
Reply 35
Original post by The Shed End
Hipster spotted^

PRSOM.

If we're talking about rivals for Maldini, you can't really look past Puyol. Those two are a cut above everybody else - be it Terry, Ramos, Cannavaro, Vidic or whoever.
Yeah would say from players I've watched in my lifetime individually based on ability and longevity it would be Maldini and Puyol as the stand-out examples, then Terry, Vidic, Nesta, Desailly, Kompany, Stam, Tony Adams, with #ssnqkoscielny not far behind (srs not srs). Then if you were to include centre-back partnerships then you'd be looking at including the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Carvalho, Thiago Silva, Sol Campbell, Martin Keown, and possibly Carragher as well

Although this thread is dominated by centre backs, who are leaders, obviously vocal and dominant in their positions on the pitch, also need to think about left and right backs who are equally as important to teams as centre-backs. Ones who can influence a game both defensively and offensively, so I'd be inclined to include the likes of Cafu, Ashley Cole, Philip Lahm and Alves.

Just from players I've grown up with, I'm sure people would rate Beckenbear, Baresi, Lucio etc more.
Original post by The Shed End
Yeah would say from players I've watched in my lifetime individually based on ability and longevity it would be Maldini and Puyol as the stand-out examples, then Terry, Vidic, Nesta, Desailly, Kompany, Stam, Tony Adams, with #ssnqkoscielny not far behind (srs not srs). Then if you were to include centre-back partnerships then you'd be looking at including the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Carvalho, Thiago Silva, Sol Campbell, Martin Keown, and possibly Carragher as well

Although this thread is dominated by centre backs, who are leaders, obviously vocal and dominant in their positions on the pitch, also need to think about left and right backs who are equally as important to teams as centre-backs. Ones who can influence a game both defensively and offensively, so I'd be inclined to include the likes of Cafu, Ashley Cole, Philip Lahm and Alves.

Just from players I've grown up with, I'm sure people would rate Beckenbear, Baresi, Lucio etc more.

If we're including wing backs surely Roberto Carlos is the first name on the list?

And why is everyone so quick to mention Baresi and not Scirea?

Neither Hierro and Sammer have received mentions either.

:facepalm2:
Original post by Stalin
If we're including wing backs surely Roberto Carlos is the first name on the list?

And why is everyone so quick to mention Baresi and not Scirea?

Neither Hierro and Sammer have received mentions either.

:facepalm2:

Completely forgot about Carlos.

Honestly, can't say I've ever heard of Scirea. Hierro? Not really an all-time great, just seems an example that someone would use to make them seem a bit left-field. Sammer is a shout though.
Per Mertesacker
Thst pase he has is soo fast :tongue:
On a serious note Puyol

Quick Reply

Latest