Clearing and Graduate Medicine, or Gap Year and Undergraduate medicine?

Watch
LaurenCocking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation.
I applied for medicine for 2015 entry, but I was rejected by all 4 medical schools.
Now I am wondering what to do on results day, as I hold no offers for any course (I stupidly declined my biomed offer from York) whether to go through clearing and have a go at biomed and then go through graduate route for medicine, or take a gap year, get more work experience and then reapply for 2016 entry? I have already resat the UKCAT which I have improved on but I'm still apprehensive about applying again this year and being rejected another year on.
Any advice will be so helpful, thanks in advance!
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Considering how much more competitive graduate entry is, and how it's future is uncertain, I would recommend to anyone that they try to get onto undergraduate entry if they possibly can. It may feel awful to get rejections, but the reality is that many able applicants do not get in first time. If you get AAA on results day I would say you would be in a very strong position to reapply, especially if you spend your gap year doing work experience and volunteering.
liam__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LaurenCocking)
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation.
I applied for medicine for 2015 entry, but I was rejected by all 4 medical schools.
Now I am wondering what to do on results day, as I hold no offers for any course (I stupidly declined my biomed offer from York) whether to go through clearing and have a go at biomed and then go through graduate route for medicine, or take a gap year, get more work experience and then reapply for 2016 entry? I have already resat the UKCAT which I have improved on but I'm still apprehensive about applying again this year and being rejected another year on.
Any advice will be so helpful, thanks in advance!
Taking the gap year is the smart thing to do. You'll (hopefully) be studying medicine 2 years sooner, you'll have £35k(ish) less debt, undergrad is far less competitive than GEM, and because of the recent Shape of Training Review (I won't bore you with the details of which) GEM might not be around in its current form when you graduate from biomed.

Try not to let all of your friends going off to uni bother you, a gap year is the sensible thing to do in your situation (especially as you've improved your UKCAT).
LaurenCocking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by liam__)
Taking the gap year is the smart thing to do. You'll (hopefully) be studying medicine 2 years sooner, you'll have £35k(ish) less debt, undergrad is far less competitive than GEM, and because of the recent Shape of Training Review (I won't bore you with the details of which) GEM might not be around in its current form when you graduate from biomed.

Try not to let all of your friends going off to uni bother you, a gap year is the sensible thing to do in your situation (especially as you've improved your UKCAT).
Thank you for your response.
I think the only reason I would go through clearing on results day, is if I don't get 3 A's as then I have no chance of getting into medical school this time around too, so hopefully I get my predicted grades and I can carry on with my plans for a gap year.
Going_To_California
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LaurenCocking)
Thank you for your response.
I think the only reason I would go through clearing on results day, is if I don't get 3 A's as then I have no chance of getting into medical school this time around too, so hopefully I get my predicted grades and I can carry on with my plans for a gap year.
There are even a few med schools who accept candidates who've done A-Level resits, e.g. BSMS - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies
So if you got slightly less than AAA, it still might be worth taking a year out, if you're prepared to, for the reasons outlined above.
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Do you have a link to the shape of training review? I need to make myself feel more anxious than I already am.
Zorg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marathi)
Do you have a link to the shape of training review? I need to make myself feel more anxious than I already am.
http://www.shapeoftraining.co.uk/

liam__
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, this outlines the situation nicely.

http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysi...tration-change
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, this outlines the situation nicely.

http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysi...tration-change
I think I read something similar to this already. I wonder how long, if at all, this change would take place.

It seems to have met heavy opposition across the board. So hopefully there will be no changes to the current setup.

It seems as though there will be more concrete information being released for 2017 entry. Which is annoying as it's going to be more likely that 2017 should be a more opportune year for me to apply. But who knows
liam__
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think I read something similar to this already. I wonder how long, if at all, this change would take place.

It seems to have met heavy opposition across the board. So hopefully there will be no changes to the current setup.

It seems as though there will be more concrete information being released for 2017 entry. Which is annoying as it's going to be more likely that 2017 should be a more opportune year for me to apply. But who knows
The BMA are lobbying against it, however, as can be seen in the news recently, sometimes the govt flat out ignores what the BMA are saying. I'm not expecting any changes for 2016 entry; the UCAS cycle is already live and courses have been planned. Put it this way, I'm definitely hoping I get in this year.
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The BMA are lobbying against it, however, as can be seen in the news recently, sometimes the govt flat out ignores what the BMA are saying. I'm not expecting any changes for 2016 entry; the UCAS cycle is already live and courses have been planned. Put it this way, I'm definitely hoping I get in this year.
Yea 2016 seems safe enough. Gotta get that super high GAMSAT score!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads