Feel disappointed seeing film adaptation after reading the book Watch

SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I read Gone Girl before the film adaptation came out, and I imagined Amy to be portrayed by Ashley Tisdale and Rhonda portrayed by Conchata Ferell, including their mannerisms and everything. I felt that the move in my head was way better, and I was left disappointed by the film.

And this happens all the time when I read the book before I watch the film.
Does this happen a lot, usually?
JulietheCat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I imagined Amy to be portrayed by Reese Witherspoon. So was disappointed about Rosamund's performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SecretDuck)
I read Gone Girl before the film adaptation came out, and I imagined Amy to be portrayed by Ashley Tisdale and Rhonda portrayed by Conchata Ferell, including their mannerisms and everything. I felt that the move in my head was way better, and I was left disappointed by the film.

I read the book and loved it. I watched the film but wasn't even paying attention, maybe I was just being lazy but I didn't enjoy the film.
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
(Original post by TitanCream)
I read the book and loved it. I watched the film but wasn't even paying attention, maybe I was just being lazy but I didn't enjoy the film.
I enjoyed the film but it pales in comparison to the imaginary movie in my head.

One thing that my imaginary movie did better was that Amy was actually bubbly and happy at face value. She felt other emotions, of course, but she never showed her entire deck of cards. And that's why in the book, what she did was a big shock and I can understand why Nick reluctantly stayed with her. That's suspenseful and it kept me at the edge of my seat.

In the film, the second Amy opened her mouth, my mother (who never read the book) told me that there was something wrong with her and asked me if she was going to do anything psychotic.

The film was good but the book was miles better.
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I enjoyed the film but it pales in comparison to the imaginary movie in my head.

One thing that my imaginary movie did better was that Amy was actually bubbly and happy at face value. She felt other emotions, of course, but she never showed her entire deck of cards. And that's why in the book, what she did was a big shock and I can understand why Nick reluctantly stayed with her. That's suspenseful and it kept me at the edge of my seat.

In the film, the second Amy opened her mouth, my mother (who never read the book) told me that there was something wrong with her and asked me if she was going to do anything psychotic.

The film was good but the book was miles better.
Yeah, it didn't have the killer sting which the book did. Such a shame, but the film is highly regarded.
Indeterminate
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't read the book but I really liked the film.

Yes, I'd agree that it happens a lot, and some cases are worse than others. For instance, the 2012 adaptation of Anna Karenina is just rubbish.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All Harry Potter films apart from 1, 3, and 5.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I never read a book while imagining a certain actor/actress playing the role, I just formulate what they look like in my head based on the author's descriptions.

I've been disappointed by many films that have been adapted from books, but you've got to bear in mind that they are two separate forms of media with two separate drivings forces behind them: the original book form is all about how the author imparts the tale, whereas a film version of the same book is likely the directors interpretation of the book.

Then you've got time and budget restraints, etc. Films adapted from books very rarely turn out in the exact way you imagined the book. If you got 3 people, asked them to read the same book then draw the characters, it's likely you'd end up with 3 sketches that look completely different from each other.

This is why reading a book is a very personal thing, and people often get upset when the film doesn't live up to how they imagined it while reading it.
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
I never read a book while imagining a certain actor/actress playing the role, I just formulate what they look like in my head based on the author's descriptions.

I've been disappointed by many films that have been adapted from books, but you've got to bear in mind that they are two separate forms of media with two separate drivings forces behind them: the original book form is all about how the author imparts the tale, whereas a film version of the same book is likely the directors interpretation of the book.

Then you've got time and budget restraints, etc. Films adapted from books very rarely turn out in the exact way you imagined the book. If you got 3 people, asked them to read the same book then draw the characters, it's likely you'd end up with 3 sketches that look completely different from each other.

This is why reading a book is a very personal thing, and people often get upset when the film doesn't live up to how they imagined it while reading it.
I tend to pick the closest association I have in my mind, and they're often either celebrities who fit closely with the description or my ex-classmates. So I'm often disappointed when my choice of actor/actress is not chosen for the film version.

I was mostly disappointed with the different pacing in both versions and the portrayal of most of the characters in all honesty.
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, different genres. Films can be brilliant but the book is more detailed in content plus you get to hear the inmost thoughts of the protagonist. Some film adaptations are disappointing but some are excellent, I think: e.g. Jarhead http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg , Jane Ayre https://shelflove.files.wordpress.co...eeyremovie.png , Revolutionary Road http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img537/8999/ubb1cX.jpg , Sense and Sensibility http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...640_SY720_.jpg , One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest http://img.csfd.cz/files/images/user...349_896a6a.jpg, Jude the Obscure http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C58WGJ8DL.jpg
Mark8346
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm reminded of a series of books I read as a child. The first few books had no pictures. One of the book's main characters was a dog. I imagined him as being a golden retriever. The next book in the series had illustrations. They drew the dog as a small dog with fur covering its eyes like this:

I couldn't continue the book series anymore after that.
EloiseStar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I'm not sure I agree with Ashley Tisdale but yes to Conchata Ferell!

(Original post by JulietheCat)
I imagined Amy to be portrayed by Reese Witherspoon. So was disappointed about Rosamund's performance.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, Reese Witherspoon would have been good.
Paulwyn
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I Am Legend- a truly amazing book and a pile of balls movie.

Flip side, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest- great book, better film. Jack Nicholson is phenomenal
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
(Original post by EloiseStar)
I'm not sure I agree with Ashley Tisdale but yes to Conchata Ferell!

I agree, Reese Witherspoon would have been good.
Glad someone agrees with me about Rhonda.

In the book, she was described as not being pretty so I picked Conchata as how I imagine her to talk and behave. In the film, Rhonda was prettier and quite dull in comparison to what I imagined.
EloiseStar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glad someone agrees with me about Rhonda.

In the book, she was described as not being pretty so I picked Conchata as how I imagine her to talk and behave. In the film, Rhonda was prettier and quite dull in comparison to what I imagined.
Ben Affleck made me hate Nick, I think Rosamund made Amy seem as psychotic as she is in the book, if not more. I know not a lot of people would agree with me on that one.

Wasn't too impressed with Neil Patrick Harris...
vis break
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The biggest dissapointments were northern lights and Darren Shan. like wtf why is hollywood run by potatoes?!
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
(Original post by EloiseStar)
Ben Affleck made me hate Nick, I think Rosamund made Amy seem as psychotic as she is in the book, if not more. I know not a lot of people would agree with me on that one.

Wasn't too impressed with Neil Patrick Harris...
Rosamund wasn't subtle in playing Amy IMO. Killed some tension there. In the book, I imagined Amy to be this bubbly innocent woman at face value but is cold and calculating deep down.

I imagined Nick to be more likeable in the book. Can't put my finger on it but there was something off about Ben's performance.
EloiseStar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rosamund wasn't subtle in playing Amy IMO. Killed some tension there. In the book, I imagined Amy to be this bubbly innocent woman at face value but is cold and calculating deep down.

I imagined Nick to be more likeable in the book. Can't put my finger on it but there was something off about Ben's performance.
I felt that in the book Nick was more innocent but right from the get-go in the film, he was a shady character and always hiding something.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many films have been better than the films they're based on?

Not too bad list:
Harry Potter films (some of them)
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Hunger Games (first film, not sure about the rest)

Terrible compared to the books:
Kite Runner
Along Came a Spider
Golden Compass/Northern Lights
Gone Girl
Divergent
The Lovely Bones

I'm sure there's loads of others.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
All Harry Potter films apart from 1, 3, and 5.
You shut your whore mouth. 2 and 4 were my favourite two (1 was third favourite)

(Original post by Paulwyn)
I Am Legend- a truly amazing book and a pile of balls movie.

Flip side, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest- great book, better film. Jack Nicholson is phenomenal
I liked the movie, only problem I had was that it didn't go far enough into explaining the infected (there was minute long section that hinted it, but mostly it was 'ahh, bald albino zombers!'.

(Original post by vis break)
The biggest dissapointments were northern lights and Darren Shan. like wtf why is hollywood run by potatoes?!
You misspelt Eragon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads