Turn on thread page Beta

Moving up and Down watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ( Oscillations )

can you please explain to me how you got the answers?

A Simple model of a crystal assumes that the atoms in it are vibrating in the same way as the mass in a mass - spring system. The inter atomic bonds behave like the springs and have a spring constant ' k '

In one instance, an atom in a crystal lattice vibtates with simple harmonic motion of frequency 1 x 10 ^ 13 . The energy of an atom at room temperature is approx 4.2 x 10 ^-21

1) Calculate the max velocity of an atom of mass 3.7 x 10 ^ - 26 kg when trapped in a crystal lattice at room temperature

2) Determine the amplitude of the oscillation of the atom

3) When radiation of different frequencies falls on the crystal, one frequency is absorbed because it causes a sharp resonance

what is meant by resonance?

4) Explain why atoms are likely to have a sharp resonance whereas resonance of a mass spring system is unlikely to be sharp

ReputationRep:
    hi ok for the first question it gives you the mass as well as the kinetic energy

as soon as these two words appear in my mind i think Ek = 1/2 mv 2 the eq. you should know back to front

therefore Ek = 1/2 mv2
    4.2 x 10^-21 = 1/2 x 3.7 x 10^-26 x v2

then v2 = 4.2 x 10-^21 / 1/2 x 3.7 x 10^-26

SQUARE ROOT THAT to get v on its own which gives 476.5 ms-1

for the second.... it wants the amplitude so use the equation V = WA ( w is angular speed )

therefore A = V / W

you already worked out the speed from the previous question, therefore you need W

**** it doesnt give u W but you can use 2 pi F instea

therefore speed / 2 pi F which gives you an answer of 7.58 x 10^-12 m

ok the third one i just remmeber these definitions, you have to

so res is like the period driving force that makes the amplitude of oscillation the largest i.e. if i push a ruller up and down on a table im NEVER EVER gonna be able to reach its natural frequency..... if i push it and let go it will vibrate like no other

ok.... the last question

the atoms are not gonna experience frictional forces or air resistance as such and that frictional forces cause damped oscillations ( damped oscillations occur and DECREASE THE BODIES ENERGY - due to friction etc ) like if you sit on a cars suspension

ReputationRep:
    DazzYaa00 cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tripple)
    DazzYaa00 cheers mate
    word.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.