The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Paul Robeson House - what's it like?

Hi, I'm starting a masters at SOAS in September and have been offered a place in Paul Robeson House. I'm thinking of taking it because it's cheap and central. However, I've read some pretty scathing reviews - that it's badly run, dirty, that there have been mice and cockroach infestations and that it's really noisy because all the doors slam shut. Can anyone tell me if all that is true or exaggerated, or give me the lowdown on what it's really like. Thanks!
Reply 1
Yes, I am reading the reviews as well and am scared as hell. Dont know what to do. Did you find any others who had such experiences. Such bad housing making it to the headlines of newspapers. PRH and DW seem to be a no-no. I dont know what to do and and Im joining this Sept '15. Dont want to go there now.
Is it really bad people. Please write in.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Hi,

I managed to speak to a couple of people from PR, one who is there now and one who was there three years ago, and they both said it is basically fine and that there were only ever minor problems. I don't know about DW though. I've provisionally accepted a place at PR. All told, cost-wise and location-wise I think it's probably the best deal. Let me know if you hear anything, though, please :-)
Reply 3
Original post by danvincent73
Hi,

I managed to speak to a couple of people from PR, one who is there now and one who was there three years ago, and they both said it is basically fine and that there were only ever minor problems. I don't know about DW though. I've provisionally accepted a place at PR. All told, cost-wise and location-wise I think it's probably the best deal. Let me know if you hear anything, though, please :-)

Hi,
Thanks for writing in. I did come across a student [online] who basically had leakage problems, refrigerator not wkg, shower clogging but stuck thru bcz he had good flatmates. Running around for repairs is not something i can spend my time once there. Yes, location wise it is the closest and more ever I wanted to be housed with SOAS Post Grad students. But now, I'm looking for alternatives. I think its best to not be at PRH. The accom officer Leah Edwards says they are looking into the matters hand in hand with Sanc Students. I'm thinking moving from there is better but its already Sept and its tough. :frown:. I really wish I cud go back in time a few months and had checked PRH.
Reply 4
Ohhk. An update. Finding residences for post grads close to SOAS is getting difficult and my brain is saturated sitting in front of my computer seeing options. Just feel like giving Paul Robeson House a shot and see how it goes there. God, why cudnt SOAS have good accommodation!!
Original post by AAVV
Ohhk. An update. Finding residences for post grads close to SOAS is getting difficult and my brain is saturated sitting in front of my computer seeing options. Just feel like giving Paul Robeson House a shot and see how it goes there. God, why cudnt SOAS have good accommodation!!

Hi, I wonder if you're still connected here. Did you finally stay in PRH? How was your experience?
I've lived in Paul Robeson House for two years. Are there issues with things breaking often? Yes. However, these get resolved fairly quickly if you submit an online form that takes a minute to complete. The staff are generally all pretty friendly and most of the residents generally seem to be too. I wouldn't worry too much and just come here. You have easy access to loads of parts of the city and its only a 20min walk to SOAS.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending