The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do with my life anymore.

I used to be one of those people who always planned their lives so perfectly and carefully (despite the fact that I'm only 16 lol) and now I just don't know what to do.

I just finished my GCSE's and I'm dreading results day. I want to be a dentist in future but with my predicted GCSE results (5As & 5Bs) I don't think it's going to happen. I hate not knowing what do and I hate feeling like I'm gonna fail. I feel like results day is gonna be so depressing and I'm going to live a depressing life.

I know I'm only 16 but I really just want to do well in life but I feel like not doing well in school will result in me being a failure. I come from a kind of poor background and none of my family really does well in life. I really wanted to be the one that did well but life is so much harder when you don't have good qualifications. I'm not talented at all so academics is pretty much all I have.

I'm so sorry this is so rambly and confusing but i just really wanted to get advice. :frown:
you're probably overthinking. i bet you did better than you think you did :h:
Reply 2
Original post by User008
I used to be one of those people who always planned their lives so perfectly and carefully (despite the fact that I'm only 16 lol) and now I just don't know what to do.

I just finished my GCSE's and I'm dreading results day. I want to be a dentist in future but with my predicted GCSE results (5As & 5Bs) I don't think it's going to happen. I hate not knowing what do and I hate feeling like I'm gonna fail. I feel like results day is gonna be so depressing and I'm going to live a depressing life.

I know I'm only 16 but I really just want to do well in life but I feel like not doing well in school will result in me being a failure. I come from a kind of poor background and none of my family really does well in life. I really wanted to be the one that did well but life is so much harder when you don't have good qualifications. I'm not talented at all so academics is pretty much all I have.

I'm so sorry this is so rambly and confusing but i just really wanted to get advice. :frown:

There's no point worrying about things that are out of your control man.

(I'm on a roll tonight, i'm feelin' myself)
Reply 3
Original post by User008

Hey don't panic. Wait until you get your results and then come back here and tell us how you did :smile:, till then chill.

You can't change anything so just wait.
Reply 4
Original post by Racoon
Hey don't panic. Wait until you get your results and then come back here and tell us how you did :smile:, till then chill.

You can't change anything so just wait.

Thanks.
Dude you're way too young to think like this.

Wait till you actually finish a course at University. THEN start panicking
Reply 6
I know how you feel but tbh you just need to wait until results day and stop stressing now because there's nothing you can really do to change anything.

And you're only 16 and most people end up changing their minds on what they want to do as a career later in life anyways. Just chill :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by User008

First off, I am so, so relieved to have found somebody who understands!!
I am one of those obnoxious people who are aiming for straight A*s despite not having a hope in hell of getting it, and I am absolutely freaking petrified. I barely scraped through my GCSE years and I'm still not doing any better, so I know exactly how I'm gonna react to my results and I'm not looking forward to that.

I also completely and utterly sympathise with the second part, but please, let me promise you that it's not true. If you work hard - which you clearly do - then you are definitely going to succeed in life. I'm not going to say you will straight away, but you will succeed.
GCSE results have absolutely no consequence on whether you do dentistry or not. You just need to work very hard, get some help whenever you need it and ace your A Levels / alternative such as IB. I'm not saying you need straight A*s, either - you just need to look into some courses, and then see which ones you like and the required grades. THAT is then your aim. When I said I was aiming for straight A*s, this 19 year old guy who was with me and other 16 year olds on a summer program just laughed and said "You do know that GCSE results are absolutely irrelevant, right?". And they are. We're told they're not, but they are.

I can tell you that you clearly have some self-esteem issues going on. EVERYONE is talented in many ways. Everyone. Also, being academically capable is one hell of a talent!! Don't dismiss that just because that's one of YOUR talents so clearly it means nothing because it's YOU; that isn't how it works.

As and Bs are actually incredibly solid grades, my dear - I go to an academic kind of school, and there are quite a few students who are above average and yet still wouldn't be able to achieve quite that high. So give yourself a pat on the back; you've done WELL!!

Take care of yourself. If you ever need someone, please, just message me. :smile:
Original post by User008
I just finished my GCSE's and I'm dreading results day. I want to be a dentist in future but with my predicted GCSE results (5As & 5Bs) I don't think it's going to happen.

That set looks fine for dentistry, providing you do well at A level and don't get hung up on going to Oxbridge.

Boss the A levels, things will go good. I hear GCSE results ain't even all that relevant a lot of the time. Besides, if dentistry ends up not being a thing for you based off the GCSE results it's reasonable to assume that you can still get a decent job regardless. Chill yer beans
Reply 9
Original post by Do1phinDreamer
First off, I am so, so relieved to have found somebody who understands!!
I am one of those obnoxious people who are aiming for straight A*s despite not having a hope in hell of getting it, and I am absolutely freaking petrified. I barely scraped through my GCSE years and I'm still not doing any better, so I know exactly how I'm gonna react to my results and I'm not looking forward to that.

I also completely and utterly sympathise with the second part, but please, let me promise you that it's not true. If you work hard - which you clearly do - then you are definitely going to succeed in life. I'm not going to say you will straight away, but you will succeed.
GCSE results have absolutely no consequence on whether you do dentistry or not. You just need to work very hard, get some help whenever you need it and ace your A Levels / alternative such as IB. I'm not saying you need straight A*s, either - you just need to look into some courses, and then see which ones you like and the required grades. THAT is then your aim. When I said I was aiming for straight A*s, this 19 year old guy who was with me and other 16 year olds on a summer program just laughed and said "You do know that GCSE results are absolutely irrelevant, right?". And they are. We're told they're not, but they are.

I can tell you that you clearly have some self-esteem issues going on. EVERYONE is talented in many ways. Everyone. Also, being academically capable is one hell of a talent!! Don't dismiss that just because that's one of YOUR talents so clearly it means nothing because it's YOU; that isn't how it works.

As and Bs are actually incredibly solid grades, my dear - I go to an academic kind of school, and there are quite a few students who are above average and yet still wouldn't be able to achieve quite that high. So give yourself a pat on the back; you've done WELL!!

Take care of yourself. If you ever need someone, please, just message me. :smile:

Thank you so so so so much for your reply! So many people just don't understand and it's quite frustrating! Glad you could give me advice because this REALLY made my day! Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by User008
Thank you so so so so much for your reply! So many people just don't understand and it's quite frustrating! Glad you could give me advice because this REALLY made my day! Thank you! :biggrin:

Awww! This response made MY day!!!
No, I completely get it. But I think you've done great. <3
Reply 11
Original post by Retired_Messiah
That set looks fine for dentistry, providing you do well at A level and don't get hung up on going to Oxbridge.

Boss the A levels, things will go good. I hear GCSE results ain't even all that relevant a lot of the time. Besides, if dentistry ends up not being a thing for you based off the GCSE results it's reasonable to assume that you can still get a decent job regardless. Chill yer beans

Thank you!!! :smile:
1. Wait till you get a job.
2. Wait till you have to pay your own way and earn enough to pay the bills at the end of the month.
3. Wait until you deal with real life and realise the world isn't the way you've conceived of it in your brain; unlike teachers, parents and academics, real people don't actually care what you think.
4. Wait till you have to start watching your parents age and gradually make their way into a retirement home, knowing full well that upon their death there's no-one on earth to fall back on.
5. Wait till you feel the feeling that after having been taken care of by your parents for the first 2-3 decades of your life, YOU are now responsible for taking care of them (and perhaps paying for their care fees).
6. Wait till you hit 30 and begin to realise you don't actually enjoy your career. That when faced with your own mortality there really is more to life.
7. Wait till you have your first child and come to the realisation that for all their wants, needs, hopes and for their very well being, YOU are it. YOU are responsible.
8. Wait till you actually have to find employment in the land of 20 million graduates.
9. Wait till you come to realise that no matter what you do, no matter how good, it won't matter - you are merely a speck of dust on a planet populated with 7 billion people.
10. Wait till you come to realise that the world doesn't actually give a damn about you, that, at the end of the day you are on your own. It's liberating, and terrifying.

In gist, you're worried about your GCSEs. I'd take a look around, walk down the street and then maybe you'll realise - you have infinitely fewer worries than the vast majority of the population over the age of 25. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Quick Reply

Latest