Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Question 1: A shop employs 8 men and 2 women. The mean weekly wage of the 10 employees is £396. The mean weekly wage of the 8 men is £400. Calculate the mean weekly wage of the 2 women.

Question 2: Solve 2/x + 3/2x = 1/3

Question 3: The ages of five children are..... 2,4,5,6,8. The mean age is 5 yeasr. Calculate the std deviation of the five ages.

Question 4: There are 12 boys and 15 girls in a class. In a test the mean mark for the boys is n. In the same test the mean mark for the girls is m. Work out an expression for the mean mark of teh whole class of 27 students.

Thanks in advance, just want to get these questions sorted out before my exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Hello

Dunno where that UKL Maths society thread disappeared to and I have some maths questions I can't solve so I'll just post it here.

Question 1: A shop employs 8 men and 2 women. The mean weekly wage of the 10 employees is £396. The mean weekly wage of the 8 men is £400. Calculate the mean weekly wage of the 2 women.

£380 each for the women.

x=10r1r2

Question 3: The ages of five children are..... 2,4,5,6,8. The mean age is 5 yeasr. Calculate the std deviation of the five ages.

Can't be bothered

Question 4: There are 12 boys and 15 girls in a class. In a test the mean mark for the boys is n. In the same test the mean mark for the girls is m. Work out an expression for the mean mark of teh whole class of 27 students.

(12n+15m)/27

Thanks in advance, just what to get these questions sorted out before my exam!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers, but can you show me your working though, so I can see how you did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Thanks for the answers, but can you show me your working though, so I can see how you did it?

8*40 = 3200 total that 8 men earn.
    10*396 = 3960 total that 10 eomployees earn

3960 - 3200 = 760 left over for the 2 women, therefore the earn a mean of 760/2 = 380

Can be rewritten as 1/x * (2+3/2) = 1/3 which is 1/x * (3r1r2) = 1/3

1/x = (1/3)/(3r1r2) which gives 2/21

1/x=2/21 multipy through by x and rearrange to get x on its own.

Can't be arsed.

Mean = Total/number therefore Total = mean*number:

12 boys with mean mark of 'n', therefore the sum of all their marks are 12n, similiarly for the girls. 12n and 15m divide by the total of 27 giving the mean of all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Right thanks I'm sorted now

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.