The Student Room Group

Car insurance when car is not taxed?

Hi guys,

Next month I'm moving away, and to cut back on costs I'm looking to sworn my car for the months I am.

Only issue is, my car insurance is currently on a monthly payment basis, meaning if I cancel the insurance I will have to upfront £400 in cancellation fees. So I have decided to continue my insurabce to build up my no claims anyway. (It would cost same amount to cancel then it would to insure it for the months in away too)

The only thing is, I am unsure if I sworn a car if I can still keep it insured anyway, and if so do I need to alert my insurance it's off road?

Thanks in advance :smile:
£400 cancellation fee!!!? That's madness, what company is that?
Original post by Twinpeaks
£400 cancellation fee!!!? That's madness, what company is that?

It's churchill. I don't pay annually so this is the price I pay! :tongue:

But realistically I want to stay insured to get my one no claims year :smile:
Reply 3
no problem with keeping a policy running if you SORN a car, after all just because its off the road doesn't mean you haven't still have got an insurable interest in it, and doesn't mean you might decide to tax it on a whim to take it out again.

you shouldn't have to inform the insurers that its off the road, providing the 'off the road' place is where its usually kept anyway, you know when taking out the policy, where you told the insurers the car is kept the majority of the time, it all comes down to whether there will be a material change in details, ie you're insured at your term address and you're taking the car home to the other end of the country to store it.
Original post by kernow24
no problem with keeping a policy running if you SORN a car, after all just because its off the road doesn't mean you haven't still have got an insurable interest in it, and doesn't mean you might decide to tax it on a whim to take it out again.

you shouldn't have to inform the insurers that its off the road, providing the 'off the road' place is where its usually kept anyway, you know when taking out the policy, where you told the insurers the car is kept the majority of the time, it all comes down to whether there will be a material change in details, ie you're insured at your term address and you're taking the car home to the other end of the country to store it.

I agree
Reply 5
If you want to know if you will be insured while the car is SORN'ed, the only people who can tell you for certain I your insurance company. Worth noting the vehicle should be on private property when SORN'ed. whilst unlikely to be caught if it's parked on the road it may not be worth the risk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
If you want to know if you will be insured while the car is SORN'ed, the only people who can tell you for certain I your insurance company. Worth noting the vehicle should be on private property when SORN'ed. whilst unlikely to be caught if it's parked on the road it may not be worth the risk :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If an ANPR equipped police car drives past it'll pick it up...
Original post by shaymarriott
If an ANPR equipped police car drives past it'll pick it up...

This won't be the case! It will be on my parents drive whilst I'm away! :smile:
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure, even if your car is sorn you still have to have insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatg
I'm pretty sure, even if your car is sorn you still have to have insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending