Aduks101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,
I have a problem question on EU law but got stuck!
I was given a fictional scenario which provided that the EU adopted an environmental health Directive Which required every state to set up a scheme to fund training grants for environmental health officers.
It provided that the grant shall be available to all environmental health officers aged 25 and under at the time of application, and works for an organisation that employs 25 or more.
However, the UK implemented the Directive, but provided that the grant would be available to environmental health officers employed in an organisation employing more than 25.

Alice applied as an environmental officer,( her company employs 25 people) but was denied on grounds that She is not a senior environmental officer and her company employs only 25.

Alice would have been entitled to a 3% pay rise(from her company) if she had succeeded in securing the grant

I applied the Van Gend criteria, but got confused as to whether the directive is capable of direct effect given that it requires a further act of implementation.2) For a directive to be directly effective, the implementation period should have lapsed. But in this case, it was implemented, but not in line with the intent of the EU. The UK provision, is contrary to the wording of the EU Directive.

Is the directive capable of direct effect, regardless of the 3rd Van Gend criteria not being met.

I don't think indirect effect is applicable here, but I stand corrected. Possibly state liability as an alternative form of enforcement?

Help !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (109)
14.16%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (83)
10.78%
Changed course offer (35)
4.55%
Clearing (55)
7.14%
Conditional offer (11)
1.43%
Deferral (32)
4.16%
Ucas Extra (89)
11.56%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.25%
Point of Entry (52)
6.75%
Self-release (111)
14.42%
Tariff Point (61)
7.92%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.43%
Withdrawal (23)
2.99%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (67)
8.7%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.78%

Watched Threads