I used to be emo, AMA about this

Watch
Nightingale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Looking for bog standard questions people have towards those who followed an emo look.
Shoot away
missaxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what type of music did you listen to
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why did you stop?
meadow11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used to be too

Did you refer to yourself as emo at the time? Or did you do the classic, "I don't see myself as anything, I just like these clothes and/or music"?
Nightingale
Rep:
?
(Original post by missaxo)
what type of music did you listen to
Oh good question, I used to go on people's profiles and find bands that way as I didn't know many myself at the beginning of my transition anyway. And then I'd listen to some songs and stick to a few, such as Dashboard Confessional, Within Temptation, My Evanescence, H.I.M. (my absolute favourite)... I guess these wouldn't be classified as too emo, more like rock or goth not sure anymore haha.
Nightingale
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
Why did you stop?
I actually had two phases of it, the second one stopped because it transitioned into indie and before I knew it I was just wearing jeans and hoodies like everyone else (including my mother). It happened before I knew it kind of thing... also with age I became busier with education and forgot about paying so much attention to my appearance.
Nightingale
Rep:
?
(Original post by meadow11)
I used to be too

Did you refer to yourself as emo at the time? Or did you do the classic, "I don't see myself as anything, I just like these clothes and/or music"?
Oh yeah haha, I knew I was emo but I did enjoy playing the clueless victim to claim authenticity. I used to get called a poser a lot haha those were the days!
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chemi5try)
I'm sure you're a really nice person but just think how your words could affect other people before you blurt out stuff like that. It's a very sensitive topic (self harming) and it's not cool to make comments about it like that.
thanks? lol and ok, I will, at the rest of your sentence. I don't see where it was offensive and I will never know if something is offensive or not until I say it?
Nightingale
Rep:
?
Yeah, unfortunately I got bullied too for it. Except for when I moved countries, here in the UK it was a lot more accepted. I'm guessing in a developing country where I came from it was more of a shock and hence a proportionate reaction to it. A lot of people thought I was a Satanist, Romania being a very religious country you see. One of the first things they questioned.
Chemi5try
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
thanks? lol and ok, I will, at the rest of your sentence. I don't see where it was offensive and I will never know if something is offensive or not until I say it?
Would you have really said that to a group of people in person/ in a class discussion if you were talking about emos?
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nightingale)
Oh yeah haha, I knew I was emo but I did enjoy playing the clueless victim to claim authenticity. I used to get called a poser a lot haha those were the days!
pretty much my favourite word when I met an emo.
so when you became emo or however it works did you not realise how people would react? do you have piercings btw? and do you like My Chemical Romance?
And does this photo
Spoiler:
Show

appeal to you?
cake_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What did/do you think about guys with the emo fringe?

Embarrassed to say I used to have one
missaxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nightingale)
Oh good question, I used to go on people's profiles and find bands that way as I didn't know many myself at the beginning of my transition anyway. And then I'd listen to some songs and stick to a few, such as Dashboard Confessional, Within Temptation, My Evanescence, H.I.M. (my absolute favourite)... I guess these wouldn't be classified as too emo, more like rock or goth not sure anymore haha.
omg i LOVED evanescence!
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by missaxo)
omg i LOVED evanescence!
why loveD? I still like them and listen to so much of their music, but this is why I don't like emos. If you like something, legitimately, and emos happen to claim this thing for their image, then you're considered dark or emo or a poser. It's annoying Like being around gangbangers or chavs and you can't wear certain colours and brands anymore
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cake_lover)

(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
Being as obscene as usual I see

Posted from TSR Mobile
:rofl:
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Michael: Because she's Goth, and some ignorant people don't know the difference!
Worker: What is the difference?
Pete: Oh my God! They're totally different!
Worker: Okay, different how?
Pete: They're..ugh.. you know, one is good and -and emos are horrible! [flips hair] You're, you know... They're posers!
Firkle: Emos suck my Goth balls.
Michael: Alright alright, think of it this way: a goth believes that deep down the world is totally ****ed up. But an emo thinks that deep down, they are totally ****ed up.
Worker: That's not much of a difference.
Pete: That's a huge ****ing difference!
Michael: Okay okay, look, emos are more prone to suicide.
Pete: This ****in' *****, man.
Michael:But goths are more prone to be depressed that so many people commit suicide
Pete:Goth's darkness is nihilistic whereas Emo's is cynical.
Michael:Wait, I thought we were cynical. ...What what whatever, it doesn't matter.
Pete: No, see, you're nihilistic.
Michael: Oh yeah, you're right.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Nightingale
Rep:
?
(Original post by cake_lover)

Haha, I wanted one to be my bf that's what I thought of them
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by User23)
Haha, you gotta love 'tsrians' with their defensive temperaments.
watch the vid. I'm dying everytime.
User23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
watch the vid. I'm dying everytime.
😂😂😂😂😂 South park cracks me up every time
missaxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why loveD? I still like them and listen to so much of their music, but this is why I don't like emos. If you like something, legitimately, and emos happen to claim this thing for their image, then you're considered dark or emo or a poser. It's annoying Like being around gangbangers or chavs and you can't wear certain colours and brands anymore
No I still listen to them but I used to be obsessed with them haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed