pauly9090
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33753677

"Many "clearing" places at Scottish universities are now only available to students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The annual problem is the result of the abolition of tuition fees in Scotland.

Although the number of young Scots starting university is at a near record level, there is a strict cap on the number of Scottish and EU students at each institution. But universities have more flexibility over how many fee-paying students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland to admit."

Is the uni application process unfair for Scottish students? Seems kind of worrying with results day tomorrow
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Scots get free tuition - you have nothing to complain about :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
More competition for places but no fees. I know which option I'd prefer.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a bit rich to talk about 'fair' considering the fees English students have to pay in Scotland compared to Scottish/European students.
lizmoo0721
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with Duncan2012 , I have an offer to study in Scotland but because I am English I have to pay the international fees. Even though the rest of the EU gets free tuition, ENGLAND IS IN THE EU, I still have to pay international fees.
Very unfair!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lizmoo0721)
I agree with Duncan2012 , I have an offer to study in Scotland but because I am English I have to pay the international fees. Even though the rest of the EU gets free tuition, ENGLAND IS IN THE EU, I still have to pay international fees.
Very unfair!
£9k with a tuition loan is a lot better deal than international students get.
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I understand that, but international students are coming to study in the UK, which I already live in, while some members of the UK are entitled to free tuition and others are not. The only thing I do not understand with Scotland is allowing all EU students, which England is part of, free tuition, but they only exclude England from this deal.
Dungarees
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I understand that, but international students are coming to study in the UK, which I already live in, while some members of the UK are entitled to free tuition and others are not. The only thing I do not understand with Scotland is allowing all EU students, which England is part of, free tuition, but they only exclude England from this deal.
I guess it's probably because if it was free for student from the rest of the UK too, EVERYONE would apply to Scottish universities, which is unsustainable as the universities wouldn't be able to pay for it. I'd guess that the majority of internationals are from China and the like, not the EU, so would have to pay.

But overall I agree - free tuition trumps reduced clearing any day.
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dungarees)
I guess it's probably because if it was free for student from the rest of the UK too, EVERYONE would apply to Scottish universities, which is unsustainable as the universities wouldn't be able to pay for it. I'd guess that the majority of internationals are from China and the like, not the EU, so would have to pay.

But overall I agree - free tuition trumps reduced clearing any day.
But Scottish students come to English universities for free too? I don't understand the whole system of it really.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only thing I do not understand with Scotland is allowing all EU students, which England is part of, free tuition, but they only exclude England from this deal.
It's all part of the SNP's desire to shaft the English at every opportunity. I'm still amazed that this is permitted under race discrimination laws. The legal justification seems very tenuous at best.
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
It's all part of the SNP's desire to shaft the English at every opportunity. I'm still amazed that this is permitted under race discrimination laws. The legal justification seems very tenuous at best.
That's a very good point! Although I am English, I do like Nicola Sturgeon and most of her policies, apart from holding another referendum. I just love Scotland so much that I am willing to pay the unfair system hahaha
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
The international students coming to uni in the UK are generally fairly well off. If their fees aren't financed by rich parents who will gladly give them a well payed job in their home country, they are financed by their country's government who will guarantee them a job on graduating. Their situation is very different, so in effect they often do get free uni education.
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But Scottish students come to English universities for free too? I don't understand the whole system of it really.
Scottish students in England pay 9k like everyone else. But understandably, most want to stay in Scotland and get free tuition, I certainly would if I were Scottish.
PenguinEmperor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
only exclude England from this deal.
Northern Ireland and Wales do exist, though we are much smaller.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The separate Clearing places exist due to the way funding works for university places. When you apply to university, there are also separate places for Scottish, RUK and international students - so you're not competing for the same places. It only makes sense that this is the same for clearing!
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Penguinfarts)
Northern Ireland and Wales do exist, though we are much smaller.
You get reduced fees too though, i'm pretty sure Wales is only £3000
PenguinEmperor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You get reduced fees too though, i'm pretty sure Wales is only £3000
Northern Irish students only get it in Northern Ireland and not the rest of the UK, so it is just as bad as England if you want to go to a decent University. The Welsh are luckier admittedly and only have to pay 4k a year
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
The international students coming to uni in the UK are generally fairly well off. If their fees aren't financed by rich parents who will gladly give them a well payed job in their home country, they are financed by their country's government who will guarantee them a job on graduating. Their situation is very different, so in effect they often do get free uni education.
That really isn't true

Around half of the international students in the UK have a household income below £15k pa and another quarter have a household income between £15 and £31k.

Only a handful of countries and students are wealthy - the rest are extremely hardworking and high achieving.
SarahLund
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As many people have said already, they don't pay tuition fees so they haven't got much to complain about really.
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
That really isn't true

Around half of the international students in the UK have a household income below £15k pa and another quarter have a household income between £15 and £31k.

Only a handful of countries and students are wealthy - the rest are extremely hardworking and high achieving.
Yes, I'm not saying they aren't hard working or high achieving, but many are also rich for their country as well as they wouldn't be able to afford the extortionate fees to study in the UK. More than just a handful of international students are loaded - be realistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads