what is life in london and imperial like ? Watch

Mango2201
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you could give me some general info on what it is like to study at Imperial College London and to live in london as well. I have never lived in a big city before. I have applied to stay in GradPad Woodlane Studios (although I think it is too expenisve for what it is) plus it is not even near Imperial (around 30 minutes away). Is this normal travelling distance for students? Is it annoying to go out at night since it is so far from the city centre? Also, what is the general atmosphere of imperial like? What are the lectures and classes like ? Is the gym any good? Sorry for all the questions, I would be so grateful for some advice.
bailfire
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mango2201)
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you could give me some general info on what it is like to study at Imperial College London and to live in london as well. I have never lived in a big city before. I have applied to stay in GradPad Woodlane Studios (although I think it is too expenisve for what it is) plus it is not even near Imperial (around 30 minutes away). Is this normal travelling distance for students? Is it annoying to go out at night since it is so far from the city centre? Also, what is the general atmosphere of imperial like? What are the lectures and classes like ? Is the gym any good? Sorry for all the questions, I would be so grateful for some advice.
Living in London is not for the faint of heart. Its grim most of the time, cloudy, grey and depressed. Everyone is busy busy busy and work oriented. There is, however, another brighter side - which I haven't experienced.
AfterShave
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bailfire)
Living in London is not for the faint of heart. Its grim most of the time, cloudy, grey and depressed. Everyone is busy busy busy and work oriented. There is, however, another brighter side - which I haven't experienced.
That sounds like just about everyone city I've ever lived in.
kanra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Guys,

30 minutes isn't great, but it's not too bad either. I live about 15 minutes away (Earls Court), but most of my friends are in the Fulham area which is more like 25.

The gym is brilliant, you pay a small induction fee and then it's free for the entire duration of your study. Can get kinda crowded though.

In terms of lectures, they're not that good in my experience. We have a few very good lecturers, but the majority are mediocre at best. Just get use to going over things in your own time (a lot of people skip certain lectures altogether because they're literally that useless).

For the record, most subjects get good notes and recorded lectures. Unless you're studying biochemistry or biology, in which case buy a recording device of your own.
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Like standing on rusty nails.
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Guys,

There is no city centre in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

Has your university offer been reduced?