Is 3.9 an odd number?

Watch this thread
marcus888
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, it says on the BBC bitesize website that:

"Image isn't an odd number because it's not a whole number (that is, it doesn't belong to the set of numbers Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image)."

So does that mean it is even or classed as something else?
That_Punk_Life
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Now we're asking the real questions
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by marcus888)

"Image isn't an odd number because it's not a whole number (that is, it doesn't belong to the set of numbers Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image)."

Only integers (whole numbers) can be classed as odd or even.
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's a rational number so it's not classed as odd or even ..
that being because 3.9 can have a 0 added onto it to make 3.90 which is the same value as 3.9
but you've been taught that anything with a "0" on the end is even... so therefore rational numbers could be both even and odd simultaneously
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
that being because 3.9 can have a 0 added onto it to make 3.90 which is the same value as 3.9
but you've been taught that anything with a "0" on the end is even... so therefore rational numbers could be both even and odd simultaneously
Rational numbers can be odd/even. 6, for example, is even.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
Incorrect: all odd/even numbers are also rational numbers.

The key point here is that it is not an integer. Odd/even only makes sense for integers.
Smaug123
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

By analogy, "apple" isn't an odd number because it's not a whole number; \infty isn't an odd number because it's not a whole number; and so on. They aren't even either.
Gadah.Bengalha
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
alay
Kakemono
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Wikipedia:
An odd number is an integer which is not a multiple of two. If it is divided by two the result is a fraction. One is the first odd positive number.
nk02
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What an odd question to ask Marcus.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Odd numbers and even numbers are integers. 3.9 is not an integer, so it's neither odd not even. It's a "real" number.

Shitballs, I just realized I fell for a necro and sent the reply anyway. Dammit :getmecoat:
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Odd and even is a notion that only applies to integers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise