freazyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Any opinions on what is better? I want to do a phd in London or Oxford when I graduate eventually, within the biomedical field.

Personally I don't really fancy doing a whole year out at this moment and know I could get a really good summer placement. I'm also on a high first if that helps.

Thanks for any help!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Grades aren't everything as a lot of people will have firsts and 2.1s. Grades are no indicator of how good you'll be in a lab or a research environment. Get as much research experience as possible. A year is better as it's enough time to get independent and do some of your own work. A summer placement will just give you the chance to dip your toes in.
LSD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A year would be better but universities are aware that not all undergrads have this opportunity and if you go out of your way to get a summer placement funded by a reputable charity/society eg. the Wellcome Trust or the Genetics Society then it can definitely help to put you on reasonably even footing.

In my experience interviewers are often very impressed with undergrads who have done summer placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads