RugbySid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just need to know if it is too light on the analysis. Improvements and tips wanted.

Another attribute of the witches that Shakespeare uses to show a reversal of the natural order is the manner in which the witches communicate with one another. They commune using rhyming couplets as the bases of their speech. For example they are seen saying ‘blow … know’ and ‘lid…forbid’. The use of these rhyming couplets produces a sense of tribal incantations, which are activities that are associated with witchcraft. Witchcraft was seen as evil and the work of the devil. Since the devil is unnatural, as he disobeys God, the witches demonstrate further to the audience that they are a reversal of the natural order. Another link people could draw is between the witches and the holy trinity. The fact that there a three witches may be significant, as it may try to symbolise an evil, satanic version of the holy trinity. This may also show the witches have great power as they are akin to the trinity. Surely if Shakespeare is trying to show the witches as this, he is showing further how the witches are a reversal of the natural order, since they are making a mockery of God by trying to act like the holy trinity in skewed and demonising way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed