Cal1999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I am 16 years old and a recent school leaver; however, I am finding it increasingly difficult and exasperating finding a job. I have now been searching for around 6 weeks (I know this won't seem very long to some of you), but after such a long time, I have only ever gotten as far as the online application on various websites.

So, if it is possible, could you give me some advice and tips.
What are the best retail companies to apply for?
And, as a bonus, would anybody proof read my CV - I thought it was good enough, but who knows.

Thank you in advance for your help and Kind Regards.
MarvelAgent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1.Lack of experience can be difficult, in terms of retails, Morrisons is quite generous, from my experience they don't require previous experience, as they will provide training, so previous experience don't really make a difference. (Although of course having it is desirable)

2. I might also provide a cover letter as well as my CV just to show my determination to get the job. (Remember to tailor the cover letter to that specific employer/their sector)

3. Make sure you have reflect on what you have gain from your previous employment and how it is going to help to succeed in the role you are applying for. Sometimes looking the job description can tell you the skills the employer is looking for. Try to show them you have got all those skills (Ticking all the boxes)

4. Try some volunteering in the field you are interested in.

Have you through about joining the armed force to gain some life experience and qualification?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cal1999)
Hi all,

I am 16 years old and a recent school leaver; however, I am finding it increasingly difficult and exasperating finding a job. I have now been searching for around 6 weeks (I know this won't seem very long to some of you), but after such a long time, I have only ever gotten as far as the online application on various websites.

And, as a bonus, would anybody proof read my CV - I thought it was good enough, but who knows.

Try places like mcdonalds. Not the most glamorous job ever but at least its a job and they take on quite a lot of students. In terms of other places, apply to every shop, supermarket, restaurant, cafe, fast food place etc. Hand your CV in to everywhere that will accept it.
Also, it might be worth doing some voluntary work somewhere. It will look good on your CV and will also help when it comes to applying for jobs.
M&S Careers team
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cal1999)
Hi all,

Hi there, M&S Careers Team here!

Have you ever thought about applying for a School Leaver Scheme?
Moonschool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know how you feel, having no experience when I left school people were rejecting me left and right. However in these 6 weeks, you could of took a volunteering job which would of added experience. Go research your local charities and see what you can do to get involved. An hour a week at a shop would help loads.
Cal1999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by M&S Careers team)
Hi there, M&S Careers Team here!

Have you ever thought about applying for a School Leaver Scheme?

Hi,

I certainly would be interested! If you could, would you be able to either PM me, or provide me with some contact details.

Kind Regards.
M&S Careers team
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Management Scheme for School Leavers

Amy is a Commercial Manager in one of our largest stores. We asked her why she joined the M&S Management Scheme for School Leavers:

“I wanted to make the most of my drive and ambition. But going to uni wasn’t the right path for me. So I looked around for other opportunities. The M&S School Leaver Management Scheme was the best alternative. It’s really enabled me to make the most of my potential. I’ve learned how to inspire others as my managers inspired me – and the great thing is, I can be myself.”

Join the M&S Management Scheme for School Leavers and, like Amy, you could be running a £multi-million M&S department in just 18 months.

We’re open for applications now and right up to Friday 29 January 2016.

Apply here: http://careers.marksandspencer.com/school-leavers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads