Religious Studies or Philosophy and Ethics? Watch

Sowercherry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Either way i'm going to take one of them, it's just deciding! I like them both! Can I get some advice from past students of the subject(s) or give me websites to look at with content of the course.

Thanks
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sowercherry)
Either way i'm going to take one of them, it's just deciding! I like them both! Can I get some advice from past students of the subject(s) or give me websites to look at with content of the course.

Thanks
Hi,

I didn't take either subject for A Level so I can't give you much specific advice, but if you know/find out which exam board each subject is on, you could have a look at the specifications for each of them and see which looks more appealing to help you decide
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do philosophy and ethics! You'll learn many useful skills, and argumentative skills which you perhaps wouldn't gain in RE. Either way, P&E seems a lot more current, and it's not much work, just learning exam tricks.

I did Edexcel. I learnt about Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics( an ethical theory based on agapeic love, a situationist but christian theory) and Just war( easiest way to get marks, just recite what forms just in bello, also pacifism) in ethics. In the exam, only one of S. ethics and Util. Come up.

For philosophy, there was the Teleological argument, and the cosmological argument. Cosmological is harder, so I avoided it. We also did the Problem of Evil. You have to answer 3 topics in the exam, whether that's 2 ethics and 1 philosophy or vice versa. Questions barely change. It's either 'how convincing' or ' key strengths and weaknesses' or ' key features/ characteristics'. Learn how to answer those 3 essays for say 5 topics, and you're half way done! Don't learn all the topics, 5 is more than enough.

The other half was an investigation into the study of ethics. This bit is tricky. So for me, I researched utilitarianism. Then I wrote an essay, and the same essay again and again till I got a solid A. That's quite hard. The exam question barely changes. It's always really similar, year upon year.

I'm not going to lie, for Edexcel, it felt easier than GCSE, but that's mainly because I have a sensational teacher! But remember, grade boundaries are very high ( 90% for an A, vs English where you need 74% raw marks)

The choice is yours, it will always say religious education on your exam certificate no matter what you do.
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks
I did AQA Religious Studies. First year we did 'AS Philosophy of Religion' (RSS03)- Cosmological Argument, Atheism and Postmodernism, Psychology of Religion and Religious Experience- and 'Religion and Science' (RSS04), which consisted of topics on Miracles, Design Argument, Creation and Quantum Mechanics and a Religious World View. I personally thought this course was a great mix; there was something for everyone in that it incorporated lots of science, psychology and philosophy, aswell as the religious. 'Philosophy of Religion' was all about the relative success of arguments for the existence of God, whereas 'Religion and Science' questioned whether religion and science can co-exist. Particular mention here goes to PSYCHOLOGY OF RELIGION, which explored Freud and Jung's weird and wonderful theories.

Second year we did 'A2 Philosophy of Religion' (RST3B)- Ontological Argument, Religious Language, Body & Soul and Problem of Evil- and 'Life, Death and Beyond' (RST4A) as the synoptic paper. Unit 3 was excellent- with the possible exception of The Ontological Argument- I couldn't choose which topics to do!

If you choose this AQA Religious Studies course there is so much variety, I really recommend it!
arrow_h
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elisha Rebekah)
I did AQA Religious Studies. First year we did 'AS Philosophy of Religion' (RSS03)- Cosmological Argument, Atheism and Postmodernism, Psychology of Religion and Religious Experience- and 'Religion and Science' (RSS04), which consisted of topics on Miracles, Design Argument, Creation and Quantum Mechanics and a Religious World View. I personally thought this course was a great mix; there was something for everyone in that it incorporated lots of science, psychology and philosophy, aswell as the religious. 'Philosophy of Religion' was all about the relative success of arguments for the existence of God, whereas 'Religion and Science' questioned whether religion and science can co-exist. Particular mention here goes to PSYCHOLOGY OF RELIGION, which explored Freud and Jung's weird and wonderful theories.

Second year we did 'A2 Philosophy of Religion' (RST3B)- Ontological Argument, Religious Language, Body & Soul and Problem of Evil- and 'Life, Death and Beyond' (RST4A) as the synoptic paper. Unit 3 was excellent- with the possible exception of The Ontological Argument- I couldn't choose which topics to do!

If you choose this AQA Religious Studies course there is so much variety, I really recommend it!
What came up for RST4A?
draculaura
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks
I'd take Philosophy and Ethics... but that's just me
LC1996
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did OCR philosophy and ethics and absolutely LOVED it!! We did cosmological and ontological arguments, the problem of evil, utilitarianism, Plato and Aristotle, the ethics of war and ethical arguments regarding abortion, sex before marriage, euthanasia etc. It really backed up my atheism with genuine evidence I support myself with and enjoyed arguing both sides too. Just a genuinely pure academic subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (166)
70.94%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.09%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
11.97%

Watched Threads