hihihihihi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all,

Soon I will be starting my dissertation, so I was wondering which word processor I should use?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hihihihihi)
Hello all,

Soon I will be starting my dissertation, so I was wondering which word processor I should use?
I don't know anyone who did their dissertation on anything other than Word. It would be the obvious choice. But then again I'm not aware of the functionality of Latex.
hihihihihi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
I don't know anyone who did their dissertation on anything other than Word. It would be the obvious choice. But then again I'm not aware of the functionality of Latex.
Arranging figures on word is becoming a hassle, it destroys the whole layout. Also MS word is only available in 32 bit on Mac, which is limited to 3.5GB ram thus constantly lagging when large word files are open.

I found this https://www.sharelatex.com/ which is so easy to use because of the pre-made templates.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't even attempt to use LaTeX unless it was made mandatory or strongly suggested by your department, it's kind of tedious. And there's no way you're going to be running out of RAM using Word unless your dissertation is like 1000 pages lol
History98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the choice of word processor depends on your individual needs, if your dissertation will include custom diagrams or if it will include a lot of mathematical content then I would most definately recommend Latex.The output pdf from a Latex editor looks much nicer than the output from Word (especially when it comes to mathematical equations) and Latex gives you much greater flexibility when drawing figures (even more flexibility than custom diagram drawing applications like Microsoft Visio).

I personally used Latex for almost all reports I have written since my second year (including my 3rd and 4th year dissertations) and I have not regretted using it one bit, it allowed me to draw a lot of nice custom diagrams like circuits, custom plots e.t.c and it also made my equations look very nice.

You can look at examples of custom diagrams you can draw in Latex using the tikz package HERE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads