Turn on thread page Beta

Exam results - 4 weeks to go. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by PHIL
    Well done, when did you pass?

Phil
    Dec 2002.

I'm hopefully going to pass Grade 5 violin, Grade 7 piano and Grade 3 clarinet this Dec.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! You kinda like music then, based on that post and your name.
    What type of music do you listen to though?

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by a_musical_gal
    Dec 2002.

I'm hopefully going to pass Grade 5 violin, Grade 7 piano and Grade 3 clarinet this Dec.
    Looks like you'll have enough points to get into the joke that is Derby University by the time you get to December.

Infact, if you get 5 A* - C, you've probably got enough to get on to some of their courses.

(not offense to sheep-shagger county bound people).

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Expression
    Looks like you'll have enough points to get into the joke that is Derby University by the time you get to December.
    No, I couldn't.

If I pass my violin and clarinet they won't count because they are below Grade 6.

If I pass Grade 7, my 60 marks is replace with either 66, 88 and 100 depending on my mark.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by a_musical_gal
    No, I couldn't.

If I pass my violin and clarinet they won't count because they are below Grade 6.

If I pass Grade 7, my 60 marks is replace with either 66, 88 and 100 depending on my mark.
    Don't bet against it, knowing what Derby offered / accepted for a couple of my collegues at my 6th Form, it wouldn't surprise me !

ReputationRep:
    lol!

PHiL
    Seeing as though you have finished your first year....

The best Advice i and im sure many would agree is......
    ask yourself this...Did you give it your best shot in the exams...in your first year overall? (most about 99% of students completing their first year would say NO!)
    But if your answer us YES then no point worrying....jus forgert about it for a few weeks and Enjoy life!!!
    But if ur answer is NO....den STILL dont worry......Just re-revise over the holidays the stuff you have already covered....and get ready for retakes...Only you know how bad or good you did on a module.....most subjects are synoptic it will help you in the second year either way....so basically you have nothing to lose.....and start looking at the second years work....Alevels iz a continous thing.....you remeber things over time...not a fortnight.............and if you take that advice you will do very well...thats my promise to you.
    At the same time during your studies make sure you have FUN FUN FUN!! Dont just work all day everyday....first off its unhealthy....depressing...and not the life you need to adapt to do welll.......as long as you have a balance between the two then you will be ok.

Im gona remain annonymous...in what i have just written. like i said take the advice if u want.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that,I guess you're right. You should become a member, to make it easier to know who every1 is, and make conversation easier, so that we don't e.g. repeat questions and answers.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    i'm kinda like phil stressing about results (damn u beat me to making a '4 weeks to go' post [stupid server wouldn't let me in yesterday] - but this means only 23 weeks til christmas. woohoo!).
    i have this fear that i will get my AS results and they'll be dreadful + all chances of getting into oxford will be completely gone (cos i'm not going to apply if it's pointless + i need predicted grades of AAB to even get an interview)
    only 27 days to go!

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Oxford Oxford

I want go to *weeps* I wanna, wanna wanna!

Im alright in the predicted grades department because my tutors did mine before I sat the exams. I think that the Uni's I apply to may not like the good predicted grades, decent personal statement followed by the GOD AWFUL actual AS grades. I may have to sleep with the head of addmisions at Reading just to get him to look at my application.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by PHIL
    Good luck! You kinda like music then, based on that post and your name.
    What type of music do you listen to though?

Phil
    I like all sorts of music except classical.

At string band which I have to attend 3 times a week, we start off by listing to 15 mins of classic fm. Its ok once a week but not three times!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, best thing to do, especially in the first year (I reckon, if you do it in the second year, you might get a nervous breakdown), is to predict the worst you can get, and expect that. Then, no matter what you get you'll be surprised and happy, and hopefully you'll do well.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Xenon
    Hey, best thing to do, especially in the first year (I reckon, if you do it in the second year, you might get a nervous breakdown), is to predict the worst you can get, and expect that. Then, no matter what you get you'll be surprised and happy, and hopefully you'll do well.
    Good idea, set yourself low expectations for on the day, then everything else will be a bonus !

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but even so, you'll know you've set yourself low expectations, so will probably still be dissapointed.

Phil

a_musical_gal , what's grade 7 piano like? i mean, is it much much harder than 6? what kinda pieces do u have 2 play? i got to grade 5 and couldnt b bothered 2 learn anymore! still enjoy playing for fun tho. i found that the second i stopped learning, i found myself at the piano loads more out of my own freewill! which was an amazing feat in itself!

ReputationRep:
    How long ya been playing for?

Phil

since i was 8. got to grade 5 when i was 13. then i tried learning for grade 6, but that involved the dreaded theory so after 3 long years of trying to get up to scratch with i gave up learning grades.

do u play anything phil?

ReputationRep:
    I did piano for a coupla years, did an exam after 2 years (grade 1) which I got, but I decided to stop with exams, as it ruined the enjoyment for me by putting pressure on it, so I just played for fun, for another 3/4 years, but quit when I was 14/15, due to GCSE's, and never really got back into it.
    Do you do music for GCSE/AS/A2?

Phil

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.