Watch
This discussion is closed.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
a_musical_gal , what's grade 7 piano like? i mean, is it much much harder than 6? what kinda pieces do u have 2 play? i got to grade 5 and couldnt b bothered 2 learn anymore! still enjoy playing for fun tho. i found that the second i stopped learning, i found myself at the piano loads more out of my own freewill! which was an amazing feat in itself!
Oh yeah!!! Its hard!!!!

I'm playing three classical pieces!!! Handel and Hayden (very confusing!) and one by this french guy! I had a choice of 8 Classical, One nightmare jazz and a blues which I couldn't find the music for!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Any other instruments you fancy starting?
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I started the clarinet I actually want to start the flute but my teacher is very fussy and like his pupils to try a range of woodwind instuments.

Hour an hour on the flute could not be compared the ten minutes on the clarinet - I love it!

I would mind giving the oboe or the viola a go though.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
I did piano for a coupla years, did an exam after 2 years (grade 1) which I got, but I decided to stop with exams, as it ruined the enjoyment for me by putting pressure on it, so I just played for fun, for another 3/4 years, but quit when I was 14/15, due to GCSE's, and never really got back into it.
Do you do music for GCSE/AS/A2?

Phil
exams do ruin enjoyment. dont u think that if it wasnt for tests, exams and homework, learning something like history or music or science... anything really, could actually be interesting?
for this exact reason, i like u, did not take music for gcse or a-level!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am also a clarinetist and refused from the beggining to do exams...I still did the same work as the people in my group who did them so sort of got to say I was at that level...but I would totally **** up in a pressured situation like that...
Anyway...had my last lesson last week as decided to give up after *counts back* five years odd...I just can't get myself to practice- I have the lesson and then forget about it until the next one- 'bad bad egan!'
Started drums last year (although my teacher started uni in sept so had a massive gap in lessons until a few weeks ago...) but I'm still really bad with practicing!!! Any advice or do you just do it through routine/wanting too?

My mum is really keen on me starting sax (we have one coz my sister did it a few years ago...) but that'll just be another instrument for me not to practice!

Oh and I did flute when I was younger and didn;t enjoy it- possibly because my flute is a bit rusty and because of the groups (was learning along with some really irritating people)...think clarinet is better :P
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
exams are the down side the clarinet - I couldn't have lessons through school unless I took exams.

But piano exams are fun!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Your school is a bit mean then!
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh and something may want to rename this post

its 3 weeks until A level result today but
its 4 weeks until my results (GCSEs)
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1
Your school is a bit mean then!
Not really - I get violin and clarinet lesson free through school and I get to skip lessons!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by a_musical_gal
Not really - I get violin and clarinet lesson free through school and I get to skip lessons!
How come they're free? That sounds good. How big are your groups?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
but I'm still really bad with practicing!!! Any advice or do you just do it through routine/wanting too?
it took me years until i started enjoying practising. therefore, i think that its just a matter of when ur ready for it. when u reach a certain level, when its not such a struggle anymore, it becomes fun. so i'd have to say that until u get to that stage, make yourself practise by routine. eg. say half an hour 2/3 times a week. another thing is make sure ur playing "fun" pieces. eg. when i was learning how to play the theme to titanic, i did it in a week, whereas playing bach took me a year!! lol.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How come they're free? That sounds good. How big are your groups?
School pays, we attend.

My violin group had five people! But next year, I'm being put in a group on my own.

My clarinet group is just me as I'm the only clarinet player in the school.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow! Lucky! There is four in my clarinet group and we all get shoved into this tiny cupboard to play in!...the lessons are 20/30 mins and we pay about £3.50 a lesson or something like that...
Do you get a lot of requests to be playing in bands if your the only clarinet player? In my school there are atleast 12+ clarinetists (I don't know everyone so there may be more)
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No not really. I'm not very good because I only have been playing for 5 months.

I play the violin in two bands though and hopefully by Christmas I will be attending interview for a third.
Luce
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
The 14th my Bday
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Luce
The 14th my Bday
I beg your pardon?
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
exams are evil- i did my grade 2 clarinet then refused to do anymore because i realised that i wouldn't carry on playin because i didn't enjoy it. now i love it cos i play what i want when i want.

lou xxx
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I refused exams from the start but I still had to do the work along with the people in my group...*sigh*
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
That would suck

Phil
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.3%
No (565)
65.7%

Watched Threads