Someone just phoned me to arrange job interview - a bit late?

Watch
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Somewhere I applied phoned me at 21.38 and left a voicemail saying they want to arrange an interview. They also said they will phone back later.

WTF isn't it a bit late to be phoning?

I could be in bed or whatever.

I am not phoning back til morning.
The Good Egg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah well I get my shifts at 22:45 on a sunday night starting at 9:30 monday morning. deal with it.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Good Egg)
Yeah well I get my shifts at 22:45 on a sunday night starting at 9:30 monday morning. deal with it.
That's not the same thing. You are employed by them

I am simply applying online for a job.

I dont expect phone calls after 6pm.
Star Light
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
That's not the same thing. You are employed by them

I am simply applying online for a job.

I dont expect phone calls after 6pm.
Catch 22, i.e, the person in power has control. In most employment situations, the applicant is after a job which has more applicants than roles, so you desire the employer to use their power and choose you. If you were to complain or make a remark, that may impact negatively on their perception of you, e.g. they might think you are whiney or unwilling to work late, so they can call you whatever time they like, and be confident that you won't complain.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Star Light)
Catch 22, i.e, the person in power has control. In most employment situations, the applicant is after a job which has more applicants than roles, so you desire the employer to use their power and choose you. If you were to complain or make a remark, that may impact negatively on their perception of you, e.g. they might think you are whiney or unwilling to work late, so they can call you whatever time they like, and be confident that you won't complain.
That tells me I don't want to work for them.

Supermarkets are all the same. Full of idiots that cannot even tell the time. :rolleyes:

Besides, I am not making a complaint [to them] I am just refusing to answer until a more sociable time (i.e. 9am-6pm).
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Somewhere I applied phoned me at 21.38 and left a voicemail saying they want to arrange an interview. They also said they will phone back later.

WTF isn't it a bit late to be phoning?

I could be in bed or whatever.

I am not phoning back til morning.
Well done on leaving the red gems behind you! :woo:

On a serious note, isn't it past many businesses' opening hours? Unless this company has a 24h service or something...?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
Well done on leaving the red gems behind you! :woo:

On a serious note, isn't it past many businesses' opening hours? Unless this company has a 24h service or something...?
Yes it's a 24hr Tesco.

But HR shouldn't be working this late, and even if they are, they shouldn't be phoning applicants this late.

The woman left me a voicemail saying she will phone back later? God knows how late that will be...11pm, midnight? 3am? :mad:
Star Light
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That tells me I don't want to work for them.

Supermarkets are all the same. Full of idiots that cannot even tell the time. :rolleyes:

Besides, I am not making a complaint [to them] I am just refusing to answer until a more sociable time (i.e. 9am-6pm).
Yeah that's fair enough, probably they outsource to some call centre in India full of workers called "Dave" and "James" who get paid £0.50/hour and get confused by time zones. Or the HR people just don't think.
FeelingDepressed
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it's a 24hr Tesco.

But HR shouldn't be working this late, and even if they are, they shouldn't be phoning applicants this late.

The woman left me a voicemail saying she will phone back later? God knows how late that will be...11pm, midnight? 3am? :mad:
I was just going to comment that my brother got his "you've got the job" phone call at 21:00 at night whilst working behind a bar elsewhere. That was also a 24 hour Tesco 😂 never gave it a thought, think he was happy to get the job, the time was irrelevant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed