samiimas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone!

I'll get straight to the point.
Will doing an economics degree which includes a 1 year placement (duration of 4 years) boost my job prospects compared to just doing an economics degree with no work experience (duration of 3 years)?

Thanks
Kash24411
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samiimas)
Hey everyone!

I'll get straight to the point.
Will doing an economics degree which includes a 1 year placement (duration of 4 years) boost my job prospects compared to just doing an economics degree with no work experience (duration of 3 years)?

Thanks
I would say yes.

Getting hands on experience can be very valuable especially once you graduate as you will have that experience when applying for future jobs giving you an edge.

Also it's quite common that the business/company you work with for that work placement will offer you a job once you graduate.

Work placements can help you gain contacts and industrial links which can be very useful.
samiimas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kash24411)
I would say yes.

Getting hands on experience can be very valuable especially once you graduate as you will have that experience when applying for future jobs giving you an edge.

Also it's quite common that the business/company you work with for that work placement will offer you a job once you graduate.

Work placements can help you gain contacts and industrial links which can be very useful.
Ah okay, thanks for that
What's your opinion of me doing a 3 year economics course but instead of a 1 year placement, I'd do internships during the summer holidays between each year?
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah okay, thanks for that
What's your opinion of me doing a 3 year economics course but instead of a 1 year placement, I'd do internships during the summer holidays between each year?
The good thing about doing a course that offers a placement is most of the time the university will help out a lot making it easier to get a placement compared to you doing it by yourself.

Internships can be quite difficult to get especially when your applying for them by yourself without the university's help. However that doesn't mean you can't get one. If you do a 3 year course with internships in between then that would still be good but imo not as good as a work placement for a whole year.

What universities are you torn between? Or is it just general questions.
ChrisKnott
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello i'm also planning on doing economics if i get the results in a few days and i applied for a 3 year course but i now plan to change to do a placement year after hearing from students.

I listened to a talk from a 4th year student that did his placement at an investment banking firm and got a decent salary and it sounded exciting that a person straight out of his 2nd year of university was put in charge of handling massive amounts of money and was given so much responsibility. He also mentioned that he has now got a job at the same firm once he leaves university starting on £45,000 a year

Also my brother has told me of an economics student he's met at UCL and he's currently on a placement in the treasury. It's pretty impressive, sounds like a great experience and seems like a great way to get your foot in the door in my opinion.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The more work experience you have before you graduate, the better. So a placement year will make you more employable yes. No brainer.
samiimas
Rep:
?
The good thing about doing a course that offers a placement is most of the time the university will help out a lot making it easier to get a placement compared to you doing it by yourself.

Internships can be quite difficult to get especially when your applying for them by yourself without the university's help. However that doesn't mean you can't get one. If you do a 3 year course with internships in between then that would still be good but imo not as good as a work placement for a whole year.

What universities are you torn between? Or is it just general questions.
Oh okay I see.
I sort have an idea that want to apply to LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, City Uni London and Surrey. What do you think of those?
(Surrey is the sandwich degree course)
samiimas
Rep:
?
(Original post by yabbayabba)
The more work experience you have before you graduate, the better. So a placement year will make you more employable yes. No brainer.
Cool, thanks for that.
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay I see.
I sort have an idea that want to apply to LSE, UCL, Queen Mary, City Uni London and Surrey. What do you think of those?
All very good universities.

LSE and UCL would be the ideal choices for economics out of all those.
samiimas
Rep:
?

Cool, thank you very much!
Could I possibly PM you with more questions?
Boy_wonder_95
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Yes but LSE and UCL are the two which don't offer Placement years.
Boy_wonder_95
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At OP, ceteris paribus, yes. For a given uni, having a placement year makes you more employable than not having one. However, it is not the be all end all, as plenty from LSE/UCL manage to secure good careers without a Placement. Just make sure you're proactive at uni, in terms of networking, insights, internships etc during the holiday breaks and it would counteract the effect of not having a Placement.
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cool, thank you very much!
Could I possibly PM you with more questions?
Yeah sure
Kash24411
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
Yes but LSE and UCL are the two which don't offer Placement years.
That is true.

The reason i said those two universities is because they are arguably one of the best universities to study economics at so he shouldn't have much trouble landing internships.

Also if the university doesn't officially offer a placement year part of the course that doesn't rule out the possibility of gaining a placement by taking a year out in the 3rd year or so.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay I see.
strange spread of unis - what are your predicted grades?
samiimas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mike_123)
strange spread of unis - what are your predicted grades?
I just finished year 12, so I don't have them yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads