The Student Room Group

Student finance Independence status question

I looked at this guide linked below:

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/2639/sfe_how_paid_assessed_guide_1516_d.pdf

It says to be considered independent: "You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start ofyour course. This includes any time you:- were in paid, full-time employment"

I am not employed full time but instead part time because I couldn't find any full time paid work. I work part time (20 hours per week) and earn about £7488 per year. Does working part time automatically make be ineligible for it?

Oh and also i'm 19.
I've seen the limit mentioned as £7500, I earn £7488 per year .. that's £12 less than the limit, would that still be okay?

Also, I started working in the middle of a tax year. I have about 2 years and about 3 months of working history at the moment. If I go to university this year with parents mean tested income and continue working in my part time job and earn £7488 during 1st year of study at uni, then for next year I will have completed 3 years of work. Would I be apply to reapply next year as an independent student?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bealzibub
I've seen the limit mentioned as £7500, I earn £7488 per year .. that's £12 less than the limit, would that still be okay?

Also, I started working in the middle of a tax year. I have about 2 years and about 3 months of working history at the moment. If I go to university this year with parents mean tested income and continue working in my part time job and earn £7488 during 1st year of study at uni, then for next year I will have completed 3 years of work. Would I be apply to reapply next year as an independent student?

No, it has to be three years before the start of the course, not before the start of the academic year you're applying for. You will not be able to claim independent status. Have you already been assessed on parental income?
Original post by applicationa
No, it has to be three years before the start of the course, not before the start of the academic year you're applying for. You will not be able to claim independent status. Have you already been assessed on parental income?

Yes .. and I will get loan only which will be kind of hard to live on and no grants. I'm due to start uni this october

Also, If I keep earning £7500 from my job which I had before uni .. I don't get it, wouldn't that show i've been able to financially support myself for three years? Since all they want is £7500 for 3 years
What If I defer my entry to university to next year and cancel my student finance application for this year. By next year I will have 3 years completed would that be okay then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending