Nhs Prescriptions Watch

dipka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

Just had a thought about getting Prescriptions, hoping someone can help.

I'm 19, and going to university in September. I currently get free prescriptions because of my mum (who I live with) getting certain benifits, don't know which one it is.
When I go to uni I will be living in halls and going home to mum at weekends, Don't knowexactly how that will work but I am hoping to have 2 'sets' of medicines one at halls one at home. Save having to carry them all around each week!

I have 9 different medicines on repeat prescription, some run out each month, some are less, either because of big pack sizes or they are 'when needed' and not a regular dose. Anyway, it's a lot of medicines, and would be really expensive if I had to pay!

I'm just wondring what options I have, I can't find anything useful by looking onlne. Hopeing for information with like links to forms If needed, where to send it to or how else to get the prescriptions for free?
Or, much simpliy can I continue to get it free because of mum?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dipka)
Hi

I'm 19, and going to university in September. I currently get free prescriptions because of my mum (who I live with) getting certain benifits, don't know which one it is.
When I go to uni I will be living in halls and going home to mum at weekends, Don't knowexactly how that will work but I am hoping to have 2 'sets' of medicines one at halls one at home. Save having to carry them all around each week!

I have 9 different medicines on repeat prescription, some run out each month, some are less, either because of big pack sizes or they are 'when needed' and not a regular dose. Anyway, it's a lot of medicines, and would be really expensive if I had to pay!

I'm just wondring what options I have, I can't find anything useful by looking onlne. Hopeing for information with like links to forms If needed, where to send it to or how else to get the prescriptions for free?
There's a firm called a hc1 form that gets you money off prescriptions as it goes of your own income at uni you might not get them 100% free but apply and see what happens.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I meant form sorry
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You won't get them free now because of your mum. If you're under19 and in full time education, they'll be free.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
healp with heatlhcare costs HC1 / HC2 may apply -

otherwise a Prepayment certificate which is 104gbp / year for unlimited NHS prescriptions

amazing how many people are will fully ignorant of the PPC ...
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before doing the above, have you checked you're not exempt due to medical reasons?
dipka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
You won't get them free now because of your mum. If you're under19 and in full time education, they'll be free.
I'm 19 as I said at the start. Does it include 19 or not?

(Original post by zippyRN)
healp with heatlhcare costs HC1 / HC2 may apply -

otherwise a Prepayment certificate which is 104gbp / year for unlimited NHS prescriptions

amazing how many people are will fully ignorant of the PPC ...
I have heard of a PPC, no idea how to get one though, also no Idea what HC1/HC2 is, please can you give more information? ideally links to any criteria or forms if possible please?

(Original post by OU Student)
Before doing the above, have you checked you're not exempt due to medical reasons?
What are the medical reasons?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'under 19' for these purposes is engaged in further education i.e. y13

you have been repeatedly advised about healthcare costs help

ditto PPCs

or do we have to have a LMGTY moment?

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...lth-costs.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...tioncosts.aspx
username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dipka)
Hi

There are a number of medical conditions that mean that you are exempt from prescription charges - here is the list ..

Treatment for cancer; note this includes treatment for the effects of cancer, or treatment for the effects of a current or previous cancer treatment.
A permanent fistula requiring dressing.
Forms of hypoadrenalism such as Addison's disease.
Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism.
Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone.
Hypoparathyroidism.
Myxoedema (underactive thyroid) where thyroid hormone replacement is necessary.
Myasthenia gravis.
Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive medication.
A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person.

If you have one of the specified conditions ask for an application form, FP92A, from your doctor's surgery. You need to fill it in and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) will sign to confirm the information you've given is correct. You will then be sent a Medical Exemption Certificate which is valid for five years.If you have a Medical Exemption Certificate all your prescriptions are free, whatever the medication is for.

http://patient.info/health/free-or-r...-prescriptions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.85%
No (70)
51.09%
Don't know (22)
16.06%

Watched Threads