Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a lot of P3 questions coming up, so I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can help each other. I'm pretty nifty on the more pure side of things and will be glad to help whenever I can get online, but for now I'll start with a problem I've got on vectors.

Review Exercise 2 Question 33

Referred to a fixed origing O, the points A and B have position vectors (5i-j-k) and (i-5j+7k) respectively.

(a) Find an equation of the line AB. (Simple enough, got the answer correct.)
    (b) Show that the point C with position vector (4i-2j+k) lies on AB. (Simple as well.)
    (c) Show that OC is perpendicular to AB. (Easy also.)
    (d) Find the position vector of the point D, where D (does not equal) A, on the line AB such that the modulus of OD is equal to the modulus of OA. (Any help greatly appreciated, can't think of how to do it.)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    Review Exercise 2 Question 33

Referred to a fixed origing O, the points A and B have position vectors (5i-j-k) and (i-5j+7k) respectively.

(a) Find an equation of the line AB. (Simple enough, got the answer correct.)
    (b) Show that the point C with position vector (4i-2j+k) lies on AB. (Simple as well.)
    (c) Show that OC is perpendicular to AB. (Easy also.)
    (d) Find the position vector of the point D, where D (does not equal) A, on the line AB such that the modulus of OD is equal to the modulus of OA. (Any help greatly appreciated, can't think of how to do it.)

Thanks.
    You know that OC is perpendicular to line AB from part (c), so C must be the point on AB closest to the origin. Therefore, a point in the other direction from C of the same magnitude as |AC| will also have |OA|=|OD|

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Zaphod, for some reason I just assumed the line AB went through the origin which it clearly doesn't, I've got the right answer now though. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    was the answer 3i -3j + 3k, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats the right answer (I didn't post the answers before in case someone wanted to do it).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.