The Student Room Group

Should I go to a university that I haven't even visited?

I haven't visited any of the open days for my chosen universities mainly because I've been busy or I just can't be bothered because they're all outside of my city. I'm kind of just making my judgement based off photos and stuff, is that risky or?
I think it is risky.. One uni I applied to (Lancaster) looked great on the website and in pictures but after visiting, it just didn't feel right to me and wasn't as appealing as I thought, so that definitely helped with my decision. I was really looking forward to visiting it too because I thought I would really like it but, nope. The uni I eventually firmed (Surrey) was mostly based on how I felt when I visited it.. idk if that makes sense but just the atmosphere, you know? I could see myself there.
Reply 2
I agree. You definitely get a 'feel' for different unis. Even if you can't go to an open day just go for a wander around the campus, or ring the department you are interested in and ask if a tour is possible. Open days are a good opportunity though. All the facilities are open to visit, including some halls, and there are loads of useful people around to ask questions of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by historeek
I haven't visited any of the open days for my chosen universities mainly because I've been busy or I just can't be bothered because they're all outside of my city. I'm kind of just making my judgement based off photos and stuff, is that risky or?

Hello,

I would strongly recommend visiting the universities if possible. I found that sometimes the universities that I was really enthusiastic for, from reading the prospectuses and research online, were not what I was expecting when I visited. It is not to say that they were bad universities, just that they just didn't quite match my personal expectations. Everyone is different but it is nice to gain a feel of a particular place. The university and location is important so ideally you want to find a good balance between the two. Having said that, a lot of people are unable to visit their chosen university and everything usually works out just fine, but do try and see them first!

Pip, English Literature and History of Art :smile:
No, unless it's Oxbridge. In that case, go ahead.
You should look if possible. And if you don't know the city/town well then look around that too. You'll be living there for at least three years so you want to find somewhere that you like. Find out about the kind of areas students live after first year. Are they safe(ish)? What's the transport like to uni/town?

Before I looked around Southampton it was my first choice. I hated the city and realised I didn't want to live there.
Original post by historeek

I would probably try and go. I kind of had a basic idea of where I wanted to go when I applied. However, there were a few unis I completely changed my mind on. I was almost certainly going to apply to and insure/ firm UCL (assuming I'd have gotten an offer), but after visiting it, I didn't even bother applying there. After visiting Warwick and Imperial, I knew that I would definitely have preferred Warwick to Imperial, which I couldn't tell from the photos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending