4th AS Subject Watch

CFC DE BRUYNE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I am intending to apply to Medical schools around England. I am slight worried about something. I do 3 A Levels and 1 BTEC in Year 12. A lot of these universities are asking for a 4th AS subject. I do not have that. It's not my fault either. I initially when I picked my subjects, I picked A Level IT but at my school, they changed it to a BTEC last minute because of the lack of teachers to cover the course. Back then, I stuck with it thinking it wouldn't have been such an issue. Now it seems it will. Will my application be at a disadvantage now? Do universities really care about the 4th subject? Plus, can I do the 4th AS on my second year (year 13)?
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CFC DE BRUYNE)
Hi,

I am intending to apply to Medical schools around England. I am slight worried about something. I do 3 A Levels and 1 BTEC in Year 12. A lot of these universities are asking for a 4th AS subject. I do not have that. It's not my fault either. I initially when I picked my subjects, I picked A Level IT but at my school, they changed it to a BTEC last minute because of the lack of teachers to cover the course. Back then, I stuck with it thinking it wouldn't have been such an issue. Now it seems it will. Will my application be at a disadvantage now? Do universities really care about the 4th subject? Plus, can I do the 4th AS on my second year (year 13)?
If a med school specifies a 4th AS then yes, you would more than likely need a 4th AS. Yes, you can do it in Year 13.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

You will need to meet minimum requirements for many universities - pick something you will enjoy and will be relevant. What other subjects are you doing?
CFC DE BRUYNE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ronove)
If a med school specifies a 4th AS then yes, you would more than likely need a 4th AS. Yes, you can do it in Year 13.
How can I tell the universities that I messed up by doing BTEC and instead I'll be doing the 4th AS next year?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can I tell the universities that I messed up by doing BTEC and instead I'll be doing the 4th AS next year?
You don't need to tell anyone you 'messed up', it's hardly your fault. You could ask the referee to mention the last-minute change (to the IT) in your reference. You'll enter an upcoming AS in the qualifications section of your UCAS form, with everything else.
CFC DE BRUYNE
Rep:
?
You don't need to tell anyone you 'messed up', it's hardly your fault. You could ask the referee to mention the last-minute change (to the IT) in your reference. You'll enter an upcoming AS in the qualifications section of your UCAS form, with everything else.
The referee as in my reference? The teacher? Right. Should I write this on my personal statement somehow?
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The referee as in my reference? The teacher? Right. Should I write this on my personal statement somehow?
Your referee is the person who writes your reference, yes. I wouldn't, it's a waste of space. Unless you want to very briefly mention why you want to do whichever AS you choose, in a way that makes it seem relevant. I.e. not just 'because some med schools want a fourth AS'.
CFC DE BRUYNE
Rep:
?
Your referee is the person who writes your reference, yes. I wouldn't, it's a waste of space. Unless you want to very briefly mention why you want to do whichever AS you choose, in a way that makes it seem relevant. I.e. not just 'because some med schools want a fourth AS'.
UEA are looking for a 4th AS Level. So if I get AAA on my 3 A Levels, will they at least call me for an interview? So then, I can tell them that I'd be doing the 4th AS in Year 13 if they want it.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UEA are looking for a 4th AS Level. So if I get AAA on my 3 A Levels, will they at least call me for an interview? So then, I can tell them that I'd be doing the 4th AS in Year 13 if they want it.
They'll be able to see that you're doing the fourth AS in Year 13 from your UCAS form. They are unlikely to give a **** when you did the fourth AS as long as it's in the two years you're taking to do your A-levels. Unless you only did three AS levels in Year 12, since that would be a bit odd and mean that your AS levels were potentially easier for you than they are for others (due to reduced workload). Then again, doing 3 A2s and an extra AS in Year 13 is obviously a greater workload than people only doing three A2s. As for whether they'll invite you to interview, I have no way of knowing that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads