The Student Room Group

LGBT rights: Anti-terror orders should be used on Christian teachers, says Tory MP

Christian teachers who tell pupils that gay marriages is “wrong” should have anti-terror banning orders used against them, a Tory MP has argued.

Mark Spencer has called on Extremism Disruption Orders (EDOs), which were introduced by the Government to crack down on hate preachers and terrorist propagandists, to be used to stop children being taught that same-sex marriage is a sin.

The MP for Sherwood made the comments when responding to an email from a constituent who was flagging claims by the Christian Institute campaign group that EDOs could be used against people who believe only men and women should marry, The Telegraph reported.

Mr Spencer responded that he believes that “everybody in society has a right to free speech and to express their views without fear of persecution”, and said EDOs will “guarantee” these principals.

He then gave the example of discussing gay marriage in schools, and said the belief that same-sex marriage is wrong could constitute “hate speech” in some contexts.

The MP went on to tell his constituent that while teachers can express their own views towards marriage, they cannot specifically teach that same-sex marriage is a sin.

The Government introduced the EDOs in the Queen’s Speech in May in order to stop people in positions of authority from radicalising the young. They were previously put forward in Parliament in March, but were vetoed by the Liberal Democrats who argued they threatened free speech.

The letter has emerged as newly appointed Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron faced pressure from a Tory MP to disclose whether he believes homosexuality is a sin. She made the call after he said he supports LGBT rights but did not say whether or not being gay is sin when asked three time on Channel 4 News.

In an interview with Pink News, Dinenage herself admitted that she regretted comments she made around the time same-sex marriage legislation was passing through Parliament.

At the time, she said it was not for Government to redefine marriage and voted against the plans on one occasion. But she stressed that she wanted represent her constituents' views, not her own.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/lgbt-rights-antiterror-orders-should-be-used-against-christian-teachers-who-say-samesex-marriage-is-wrong-says-tory-mp-10436490.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hate homophobes, so those teachers need to stop.
Original post by Thisguy11
I hate homophobes, so those teachers need to stop.

There's homophobes and deeply held religious beliefs.

It does fly in the face of left wing propoganda when a conservative recommends it.
Homophobes that aren't religious are just that group of really honest people that nobody likes.

You get in a lot of social trouble if you're honest these days lol.
Of course it should be illegal and hate speech to teach kids that homosexuality/same-sex marriage is wrong, just like teaching kids that being black/interracial marriage etc is wrong, etc. Obviously a teacher cannot say those things, but terrorism? L M A O, that's insane, bigots/racists/homophobes are not terrorists, they're just ignorant and prejudiced, there's a difference between those things and terrorism.
Reply 5
Another attack on Christianity. No surprise here then.
Although he's a Tory, maybe he's doing that PC thing of "make anything nasty done by white people into terrorism so it's equal" ?
How about we stop banning anything and everything that might hurt our wikkle feelings?
Well teachers should be impartial, they can say what they like in their own time but while they are in the classroom they must teach the syllabus and cover all views, if they want to cover the overlapping conflict with some religious conservative views and use examples like that Christian bakers as part of a delivery that covers all views, that is fine as long as it is factual and not emotive.
For a teacher to say I am personally a Christian/conservative religious person and in my view etc. etc. that is grossly unprofessional.

I'm sure many teachers have a view of the increase in immigrants since they are on the front lines picking up the slack for the huge increase in children for whom English is a second language but can you imagine a teacher saying as part of a lesson my view on immigrants is etc. etc. of course not people would be horrified.

Keep classrooms impartial, hell in some parts of America they teach creationism in science, do we want that kind of biased insanity drip fed to our children?

Original post by minor bun engine
How about we stop banning anything and everything that might hurt our wikkle feelings?

Children are not adults, teenagers especially are very impressionable and something like this can have massive influence on self-esteem and bullying issues. Go have a look at a comparison of suicide rates amongst straight teens to those of lgbt teens.

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Homophobes that aren't religious are just that group of really honest people that nobody likes.

Ah the straight furniture has been delivered to another thread discussing LGBT issues, just like clockwork. Put your feet up folks.
Original post by minor bun engine

Hahahaha, PRSOM! Excellent :P

Original post by eskimo_rising
Ah the straight furniture has been delivered to another thread discussing LGBT issues, just like clockwork. Put your feet up folks.

Did you have to point out I'm straight? This is bloody ridiculous, so out of order. You're oppressing me, I deserve more rights. #actinglikeahomo

The fact you keep saying that shows you're also part of the "furniture"...

You're so pathetic, you say it as if I'm not allowed to post if I post on multiple threads.

So childish.
Classifying them as terrorists is a tad extreme, but if it gets rid of fundamentalist preaching and applies to all religions, then so be it.
OK i just red the bolded parts. And don't agree with any of them. Gay sex inside of a relationship and in private should be OK and if it's not then heterosexual sex in a relationship and in private is not OK.

Terrorist hace other things to do then to terrorize homosexuals. Which they probably do terrorize homosexuals but they don't very often. It's the general public that terrorise homosexuals.

Schools should teach gay sex it would help gay couples out in high school on how and what to do. And how to safely perform this and that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NathanAllen
OK i just red the bolded parts. And don't agree with any of them. Gay sex inside of a relationship and in private should be OK and if it's not then heterosexual sex in a relationship and in private is not OK.

Terrorist hace other things to do then to terrorize homosexuals. Which they probably do terrorize homosexuals but they don't very often. It's the general public that terrorise homosexuals.

Schools should teach gay sex it would help gay couples out in high school on how and what to do. And how to safely perform this and that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no no please don't tell me this is a genuine suggestion :biggrin: :biggrin:

They already teach about sex at a ridiculously stupid age that everyone goes and tries it the next evening, that will not end well if it's all gay sex holy damn.

Imagine having a 13 year old son come home from school with a boy out of nowhere and you hear them going at it upstairs and you go on shouting at them and they're like "ms _____ taught us how to do it safely though" ahahah that's an amazing comedy sketch actually.

They already teach about sex at a ridiculously stupid age that everyone goes and tries it the next evening, that will not end well if it's all gay sex holy damn.

Imagine having a 13 year old son come home from school with a boy out of nowhere and you hear them going at it upstairs and you go on shouting at them and they're like "ms _____ taught us how to do it safely though" ahahah that's an amazing comedy sketch actually.

Two heterosexual boys will not do that at that age because A it hurts so both boys will not attempt gay sex. And B I am trying tobsay they should fove a option if your gay to take a gay sex ed class instead of the heterosexual sex ed class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
teachers shouldn't be using their position of authority to pedal an antisocial agenda towards gay people
I'd say this towards any group regarding marriage, except for paeodphiles obviously.
Two heterosexual boys will not do that at that age because A it hurts so both boys will not attempt gay sex. And B I am trying tobsay they should fove a option if your gay to take a gay sex ed class instead of the heterosexual sex ed class

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no no.

Most kids haven't been persuaded they're gay by that age.

And let's not pretend there's no videos on the internet.

THe reason they don't teach homo sex education at that age is because it doesn't have a damaging effect on your life as it's completely pointless, whereas hetero sex can create offspring that can ruin someone's life. And it's way more normal.
No no no.

Most kids haven't been persuaded they're gay by that age.

And let's not pretend there's no videos on the internet.

THe reason they don't teach homo sex education at that age is because it doesn't have a damaging effect on your life as it's completely pointless, whereas hetero sex can create offspring that can ruin someone's life. And it's way more normal.

Do i look like the person to keep quoting knowing i don't like you in a way that you would want me to.

Homosexual sex is what two people do when there in love with each other. People have sex regardless of there sexuality when they r in love.

Like I'm in love with no one because i don't trust no one. Because i have always ended up getting hurt in the past. And I don't need anymore hurt r pressure on me. But when i do find that right person i will show love to them. I can and will love them even though your against it.

School's now a days only teach what the parts on the body r and if the child wanted to learn more they would have to ask someone.

Have you ever thought about how hard it is to live day to day. It is hard and not knowing how to please your partner the one person that means the world to you is even harder. The way Homosexuals please each other is through trial and error.

Homosexuals get called names, the defenseless get raped by other males, the strong ones are confused and can't do anything about it, the autistic homosexuals get bullied even more, homosexuals in third world countries get killed r beaten, homosexuals r afraid of the world sometimes.

Me I'm not afraid of the world I'm one the strong ones but I'm not confused and I'm normal I'm not mentally challenged.

And Computermath you sem not to care and i know you dont care for people that r homosexual. If you had the power to stop a thousand homosexuals from being killed by being whiped to death are tortureed to death You wouldn't stop the people from killing them.

That is how i view you i see this soul of yours and i want to cry because i know if i were in front of you being tortured in the worst ways and i were crying and yelling in pain you would not do a damn thing you would whatch as my poor body was being broken

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a genuine suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile

So r you going to reply because im not belittling you nor am I getting aggressive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do i look like the person to keep quoting knowing i don't like you in a way that you would want me to.

Homosexual sex is what two people do when there in love with each other. People have sex regardless of there sexuality when they r in love.

Like I'm in love with no one because i don't trust no one. Because i have always ended up getting hurt in the past. And I don't need anymore hurt r pressure on me. But when i do find that right person i will show love to them. I can and will love them even though your against it.

School's now a days only teach what the parts on the body r and if the child wanted to learn more they would have to ask someone.

Have you ever thought about how hard it is to live day to day. It is hard and not knowing how to please your partner the one person that means the world to you is even harder. The way Homosexuals please each other is through trial and error.

Homosexuals get called names, the defenseless get raped by other males, the strong ones are confused and can't do anything about it, the autistic homosexuals get bullied even more, homosexuals in third world countries get killed r beaten, homosexuals r afraid of the world sometimes.

Me I'm not afraid of the world I'm one the strong ones but I'm not confused and I'm normal I'm not mentally challenged.

And Computermath you sem not to care and i know you dont care for people that r homosexual. If you had the power to stop a thousand homosexuals from being killed by being whiped to death are tortureed to death You wouldn't stop the people from killing them.

That is how i view you i see this soul of yours and i want to cry because i know if i were in front of you being tortured in the worst ways and i were crying and yelling in pain you would not do a damn thing you would whatch as my poor body was being broken

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't ask for a life story, everyone has their own problems, I'm not going to treat you differently because of yours, you didn't need to tell me. It's like me telling me about my own issues, you would not need to know.

Okay so you went on an emotional rant and ended up deciding that I'd watch someone being tortured... After I said that we shouldn't teach kids about sex at a really young age... Seriously?

I can imagine that pleasing the other person in a homosexual relationship is a lot easier... you have the same sex organs, you understand them a lot more. It's much harder for heterosexuals based on what you've said, to please their partner.

I was talking about what they teach, which is only reproductive sex. In sex ed at 13, you do not learn about sex for pleasure. Therefore, teaching homo sex would be pointless, that should be saved for around 17-18, and like you rightly said - something you can *quietly* (some people may not want others to know for example) sign up for.

You talk about issues that do not effect you, only other homosexuals.

You definitely misunderstand me. I do not despise homosexuality I just don't get along with most homosexuals . They like the tell the world how crap their lives are being homosexual - like you just did.

I did not need to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending