Emily564
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really need someone's advice/help?!!

I've just finished year 12 and will get my AS results next week. On the day I expect to be in the school for a while after collecting my results telling my teachers what my plan is for next year and that's what I need some advice with.
My subjects for this year were geography, r.s., biology and welsh bacc.
My predicted grades are:
Geography - A
R.S.- B
Biology - I really think I'm going to get a U this year
Next year I'm predicted to get a distinction in welsh bacc.
Do you think it's worth carrying on with biology next year or resitting it or do you think I should drop it?
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i would assume if you wanted to go to university you would be required to retake biology ?
francesnoelle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It really does depend on what you want to do at uni.
If the course you want to do at uni requires biology at A2, then definitely consider resitting the module that really brought your grade down or carrying biology on to A2 to get a better grade.
If the course you want to do at uni has nothing to do with biology, then I would still consider resitting the module that brought you down; this is purely because some uni's have a requirement that you achieve at least a grade "C" or "B" in the subject you've dropped.

I hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
i would assume if you wanted to go to university you would be required to retake biology ?
Not necessarily, do you even know what degree OP plans to pursue?

Emily564 Why are you so sure you got a U in the first place? Did you not take the subject seriously? Did you leave revision until the last minute? If so, there's no point putting added strain again next year if you'll do the same thing (hopefully not) because universities are more likely to look down on you for failing the subject a SECOND time. Also, some universities allow you in with A level grades in 2 subjects and I guess your Welsh bacc could be an extra little thing to boost your application.
sombm
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emily564)
I really need someone's advice/help?!!

I've just finished year 12 and will get my AS results next week. On the day I expect to be in the school for a while after collecting my results telling my teachers what my plan is for next year and that's what I need some advice with.
My subjects for this year were geography, r.s., biology and welsh bacc.
My predicted grades are:
Geography - A
R.S.- B
Biology - I really think I'm going to get a U this year
Next year I'm predicted to get a distinction in welsh bacc.
Do you think it's worth carrying on with biology next year or resitting it or do you think I should drop it?
Personally I would drop Biology as it will mean your workload is higher than if you did three and next year will be much harder with A2s. Most upper sixth formers only do three subjects.
Which board was the R.S. - I did it too and board was OCR.
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)

Emily564 Why are you so sure you got a U in the first place? Did you not take the subject seriously? Did you leave revision until the last minute? If so, there's no point putting added strain again next year if you'll do the same thing (hopefully not) because universities are more likely to look down on you for failing the subject a SECOND time. Also, some universities allow you in with A level grades in 2 subjects and I guess your Welsh bacc could be an extra little thing to boost your application.
No, that's why i said i was assuming since like you've stated; only "some universities allow you in with A levels in 2 subjects"
to broaden opportunities (as i'm sure you're aware assuming you're a student/applicant) many universities require 3 A level subject grades or full extended diploma in BTEC or simply IB.
Many unfortunately don't consider the welsh bacc a credited option for entry requirements so in order to go to university (or at least a well respected university as i'm sure OP would want..) retaking biology OR another A level (fast track) equivalent would be necessary

edit: I'm saying this as a general admission statement, of course it varies from uni to uni and degree to degree i'm simply offering advice on making it easier to get into a broader range of universities
Emily564
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)

I think everything just sort of went wrong with the subject this year and I didn't really take it that seriously. I want to do geography at uni

(Original post by sombm)
Personally I would drop Biology as it will mean your workload is higher than if you did three and next year will be much harder with A2s. Most upper sixth formers only do three subjects.
Which board was the R.S. - I did it too and board was OCR.
Thanks, my exam board was WJEC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads