Career and salary dilemma- helpp

Watch
mulberry1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to build a career as a copywriter for a website. I've been in a temporary job as an e-commerce assistant (no real copywriting involved) since October, paying £9 an hour. I've applied for and been offered a six-month copywriting internship, paying minimum wage.
Both are for top brands.
If I stay with the temp job-
1. It pays more
2. It looks more impressive if I stick it out for a bit longer- I've been there nine months. What if I quit, my internship contract isn't renewed and they won't have me back?
3. It isn't an "internship"
For the internship;
1. It's more closely related to my field
2. It may well lead to a permanent job- but maybe not..

Stay or go, TSRians?
mulberry1
Rep:
?
I don't knoww- my mum wants me t do the internship, my dad stick with the temp job..
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I'd stick with the temp job. I can't see any benefit of the internship? It's with a similar company so it's not like you're moving upwards in that respect and the pay is lower so you're losing out. The way I see it is that the company that you already work with values you more than the internship because they're paying you more. Also, as you say, the internship may not keep you on after the six months. How long is your contract with the temp job? If it's got less than 6 months then that's the only circumstance in which I'd take the internship.
mulberry1
Rep:
?
The internship is in exactly the field I want to go into. The temp job is the right industry but not the right role.
Milkround Student & Graduate Careers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mulberry1)
The internship is in exactly the field I want to go into. The temp job is the right industry but not the right role.
Hi,

If it's financially possible for you to go with the internship, then that would be our advice. After all, the long-term value you will get from an internship that gives you direct experience in the field/role you want to go into long-term will outweigh the short-term benefits of receiving a higher salary. Staying longer in your current job is unlikely to look any more impressive at this stage in your career than nine months, especially as you have mentioned that it is temporary.

Additionally, the network of contacts you gain on your internship can be very beneficial for you in future - even if there isn't a permanent job at that particular company for you, they will almost certainly have contacts within the industry that they can recommend you get in touch with.

Hope that helps!

Chantelle & The Milkround graduate team
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can never mitigate against every possible outcome. If you want to be a copyrighter, then continuing in your temporary job is not going to get you any closer. Go for the copyrighting internship. If your contract is not renewed, then you simply have to re-evaluate your situation but you will have some experience in your chosen field which will give you more options. Companies tend not to like training people up only to see them leave so unless you are completely useless, chances are they would take you on.

Go for it - in the grand scheme of things, you have little to lose and playing safe never gets you anywhere.
mulberry1
Rep:
?
I'm not playing devil's advocate here, I've taken on board what everyone's said, but I already have some experience in e-commerce copywriting, I'm 25 years old and an e-commerce assistant. I don't know if doing a six-month minimum wage copywriting internship is a step back- but it will give me loads of intensive experience..
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you asked the people giving the internship what your prospects might be? Sounds like information is king here.
mulberry1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Have you asked the people giving the internship what your prospects might be? Sounds like information is king here.
They said it's a six month internship that might lead on to a twelve month internship. To be honest I'd be angling for a job after seven or eight months- they'd have had a good idea of my skills by then.
mulberry1
Rep:
?
But then they'd probably definitely give me a job eventually if they liked me enough for the twelve month one? But a minimum wage internship for twelve months when I already have some experience..
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mulberry1)
But then they'd probably definitely give me a job eventually if they liked me enough for the twelve month one? But a minimum wage internship for twelve months when I already have some experience..
Go for the internship - that way, even if they don;t find a permanent job for you, you know exactly what the job you think you want actually involves, you have the direct experience on your CV and you will have more contacts.

Particularly early on in your career, or any time you want a change of focus/career, you often need to suck up lower pay to get the opportunities. You've only got 6 months with this first company, you aren't in a position to negotiate much, but then you probably haven't got massive financial obligations - get the experience you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (291)
55.96%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed