Can someone confirm with evidence whether protein shakes ... Watch

le_darkhorse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
are unhealthy or not? I've heard and/or read a number of times about how protein shakes are bad for your kidneys. Can someone confirm or deny that protein shakes are good or bad for your health ? With solid evidence rather than hearsay. Thanks.
Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
exessive consuption of them is bad for you....
le_darkhorse
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
and in what way would you define excessive? is that per week per year per x years or what?
GoblinQueen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Overconsumption of protein full stop is what's bad for your kidneys! No difference whether that's from 20 shakes or 20 chickens lol. However this is still only apparent in either people with preexisting kidney trouble or people consuming excessive amounts (300g+) per day for a very long time
LuxCC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on the brand that you are using as some have added ingredients that are not that great, the only way that it would cause any damage to your kidneys is if you consume to much protein in general. On average you should consume 1g of protein per lb of your body weight (depending on the type of exercise you do). I consume 2 shakes per day (20g of protein per shake) and I'm fine,
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by le_darkhorse)
are unhealthy or not? I've heard and/or read a number of times about how protein shakes are bad for your kidneys. Can someone confirm or deny that protein shakes are good or bad for your health ? With solid evidence rather than hearsay. Thanks.
I think you're going about this the wrong way. You should go back to the places you've heard/read about protein shakes being bad for your kidneys and determine whether they provide any credible evidence. If they don't, I don't see why you would think the protein from whey powder is magically bad for you when the protein from milk isn't. It's just a subset of that. There isn't any need to go out of your way to find direct evidence that it isn't bad for you.
anunoriginaluser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Implication)
I think you're going about this the wrong way. You should go back to the places you've heard/read about protein shakes being bad for your kidneys and determine whether they provide any credible evidence. If they don't, I don't see why you would think the protein from whey powder is magically bad for you when the protein from milk isn't. It's just a subset of that. There isn't any need to go out of your way to find direct evidence that it isn't bad for you.
I believe the issue the OP is worried about here is the proportion of the shake that is protein. Water can kill you in sufficient amounts -- essentially everything (even Oxygen) is dangerous without moderation, which is why it's good to be careful about overconsumption of products like this.
S-man10
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anunoriginaluser)
I believe the issue the OP is worried about here is the proportion of the shake that is protein. Water can kill you in sufficient amounts -- essentially everything (even Oxygen) is dangerous without moderation, which is why it's good to be careful about overconsumption of products like this.
And that is the question... What the bloody hell is overconsumption?

Assume the protein is clean and without any additives
anunoriginaluser
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
And that is the question... What the bloody hell is overconsumption?

Assume the protein is clean and without any additives
I'm no expert - I just wanted to point out that while protein shakes wouldn't be dangerous in and of themselves most likely, they do lend themselves to overconsumption which is probably what has led to the OP being worried, and hence what would answer their question sufficiently.
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would agree with you, except it's probably a lot easier to "overconsume" protein on chicken breasts than it is on protein shakes haha.
S-man10
Report 4 years ago
I'm no expert - I just wanted to point out that while protein shakes wouldn't be dangerous in and of themselves most likely, they do lend themselves to overconsumption which is probably what has led to the OP being worried, and hence what would answer their question sufficiently.
As the above post. But what is the limit. What is overconsumption. We have had studies done where people have consumed 2g per lbs of bodyweight and they are still alive.

Unless you eat a 500g in one sitting, it might just not be bad.

I personally have consumed 120-150g of protein in a sitting multiple times (had my first meal as such today) and the only adverse thing I notice is wanting to poo and smelly farts. Thats about it. This is for the OP as well. There was video of someone eating more than 500g of protein in one sitting and they are fine. He was a competitive eater I remember

And a second thing for the OP: You really aren't going to over consume. Whatever you eat adding in a protein shake or two throughout the day won't be a problem
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because anything I write would simply be parroting examine, I will simply link the relevant page. The TLDR is that it's fine unless you have a pre-existing kidney condition.

http://examine.com/faq/can-eating-to...d-for-you.html
Shellshocker93
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Quite a few people have told me that protein shakes are bad for me. Specially when I was on the shred, sipping on them for lunch.
Majority of them probably never stepped into a gym before, haters.
Some stupid things I hear, the most common of all is "You get the necessary protein in your normal diet" AND "Why don't you just eat high protein foods"
Unless I sit an eat like 5 chickens or a trawler boat worth of tuna, I ain't getting the 200g of protein I need.

Just look at the old boys in the gym, they're fine and kicking and probably had more protein shakes than I had meals.
You're body upon taking on to much protein will make you poop it out or a dodgy poor quality shake will give you the "protein runs"

It's some of the orally taken roids that mess with your kidneys and liver.
SFeet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by le_darkhorse)
Like other post said, excessive consumption of protein is what is actually bad for you. But it's hard to excessively consume protein as you will need a very high intake. We as 'bodybuilders' or 'powerlifters' need more protein than the average human being. As a general rule target anywhere between 0.8-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. You should be okay.

Also try and get the majority of your protein from whole foods such as eggs, chicken, meat, fish etc. Proteins shakes are supplements and they are there just for that...to supplement.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're just a dairy protein extract, no worse for you than milk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.88%
No (43)
12.08%
I'm not old enough (139)
39.04%

Watched Threads