loya61
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am about to start undergrad Law at a Uni that i'm not too happy about going to. I did a foundation year, and then made very silly choices when applying to universities. Should I finish my first year at my current university then try to transfer, or should I apply to the universities that I want to go to next year through UCAS?

Also, what would my chances be of transfering to a good Uni after my first year, if i'm currently at an average Uni?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
There really is no point starting a course if you know you won't enjoy it. You could transfer, but there is no guarantee the universities you want to go to would accept you - not all universities accept transfer students and those that do can afford to be very picky. It would be far less risky to re-apply for the 2016 entry. There is a FAQ in this thread, have a read through.
loya61
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
There really is no point starting a course if you know you won't enjoy it. You could transfer, but there is no guarantee the universities you want to go to would accept you - not all universities accept transfer students and those that do can afford to be very picky. It would be far less risky to re-apply for the 2016 entry. There is a FAQ in this thread, have a read through.
Could I do the first year and apply during it? Also when would I apply to transfer?
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't you ask to be released into clearing and then try get something better there?

Otherwise gap year and apply for 2016. Going into 2nd year at a new uni, where you don't know anyone, where they teach/grade things differently etc wouldn't be wise since year 2 actually counts. Just reapply if you don't get anything sorted this year.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Law is especially tricky for transfers - you need an exact match of modules to get a qualifying law degree if you transfer.

I'd reiterate the advice above about having a look in Clearing. Or if that doesn't get you the sort of course you want a gap year is preferable to starting a degree with no intention of completing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (18)
15.93%
No one else does (40)
35.4%
I'm embarrassed about my background (13)
11.5%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (36)
31.86%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.77%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.77%

Watched Threads