The Student Room Group

Going to uni years after screwing up college

Hey folks. I'm in a weird predicament.

In 2011 i was studying a NatDip in Animation at college and on track to get a high merit or distinction and head off to my uni of choice and all was great, then some really screwed up family stuff happened and with just a month left of my national diploma i had to drop out and forfeit my qualification, 2 years or work and a lot of my dreams. Cut to 4 years, a relocation to a new city, a change of name and a few years of very dark mental health stuff and i've just finished a year of holding down steady employment and stuff is feeling normal again. Woo. So i thought it was about time i look at completing my degree goals (Interactive Media) again.

I have a first diploma (albeit under a different name), and 99% of the knowledge you get from a national diploma but nothing official. I was pretty much done with all my ucas stuff when i dropped out but given my memories of their efficency i get the impression getting any info from them would be painful.

So my question is, is there any way i can salvage this and get to uni in 2016 ideally without having to resit a 2 year (and expensive now im 23) national diploma??

thanks in advance and apologies for the longish post.

Cheers
Samuel
Reply 1
Original post by samelma

In 2011 i was studying a NatDip in Animation at college and on track to get a high merit or distinction and head off to my uni of choice and all was great, then some really screwed up family stuff happened and with just a month left of my national diploma i had to drop out and forfeit my qualification, 2 years or work and a lot of my dreams. Cut to 4 years, a relocation to a new city, a change of name and a few years of very dark mental health stuff and i've just finished a year of holding down steady employment and stuff is feeling normal again. Woo. So i thought it was about time i look at completing my degree goals (Interactive Media) again.

I have a first diploma (albeit under a different name), and 99% of the knowledge you get from a national diploma but nothing official. I was pretty much done with all my ucas stuff when i dropped out but given my memories of their efficency i get the impression getting any info from them would be painful.

So my question is, is there any way i can salvage this and get to uni in 2016 ideally without having to resit a 2 year (and expensive now im 23) national diploma??

Cheers
Samuel

Sorry to hear about your difficulties and predicament.

Perhaps a foundation year may be appropriate? Basically your degree would be a year longer but you get into uni in September 2016 with no Level 3 qualifications needed.

You are right that the National Diploma would now be expensive at your age. However you may be able to get it free if you don't already have any Level 3 qualifications. The foundation year at uni may be better suited to you than going back to college-that is for you to think about and explore further as you wish.

If I can help further - let me know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samelma

Cheers
Samuel

if it's your first level 3, it is free up to the age of 25.

But a foundation year seems like it would be better for you. :smile:
Original post by samelma

Cheers
Samuel

You could do an access course to get onto it or see if a uni will consider you for a foundation year as sometimes they can have different requirements for mature students.
Reply 4
Original post by Midnightmemories
if it's your first level 3, it is free up to the age of 25.

But a foundation year seems like it would be better for you. :smile:

What does first level 3 mean? Is it one A-level equivalent or two A-level equivalent, three A-level equivalent?

Thanks.
Original post by KH94
What does first level 3 mean? Is it one A-level equivalent or two A-level equivalent, three A-level equivalent?

Thanks.

A level equivalent.. your diploma is a level 3 qualification which can be worth up to about 3 a levels i think..
Reply 6
When i did it, a National Diploma was a Level 3 Qualification and is equivalent to 3 A-Levels at grade A-C. Who knows how edexcel have rejigged it last few years.

Thanks for your guy's help. I was thinking foundation was probably the route to go down but for some reason i thought you needed level 3 certificates. I'd really like to avoid going back to college, the college here isnt great and i dont think a room of enthusiastic 18 year olds would be the best environment :smile:

thank ya
Original post by samelma

Cheers
Samuel

I wrote this, it might help you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending