The Student Room Group

Why are landlords so unfair to students?

Landlords and letting agents are threatening student lives by failing to sort out dangerous electrical problems, charity warns

I always hear stories on landlords taking advantage or being downright rude or unfair of students. They also try to nickle and dime students who lets be honest are those who are most strapped for cash these days.

What are your landlord horror stories?
Reply 1
Original post by GuppyFox
Landlords and letting agents are threatening student lives by failing to sort out dangerous electrical problems, charity warns

I always hear stories on landlords taking advantage or being downright rude or unfair of students. They also try to nickle and dime students who lets be honest are those who are most strapped for cash these days.

What are your landlord horror stories?

Because they can get away with it. Students frequently do not fully know their legal rights, nor are they inclined to enter into long drawn out disagreements when the tenancies typically only last a year.

My previous landlord tried to make a number of illegitimate deposit deductions when we left. It took me several weeks of discussion with the deposit protection scheme to reclaim the whole amount.
Reply 2
There's also a high percentage of students that have no care for the property and they'll leave it in bad condition, the landlords are biased towards working couples who will look after it more x

Posted from TSR Mobile
My previous landlord was so dodgy - the only way I was able to know this was because my dad is a landlord so I know all the ins & outs, which he probably wasn't expecting from a student.

My rent was always on time with him, bar one occasion when my cousin had just passed away - I, obviously, had a lot on my mind and I messaged him to say that my rent would have to be just ONE DAY late & stated my reasons.. he then replied saying there could be no exceptions and sent me threatening voicemails telling me I need to sort my life out and that he'd be coming to my house. I genuinely think he had mental issues which he has failed to address.

The majority of landlords are evil, but there are good landlord although they are probably hard to find - my dad is really soft with all his tenants, probably too soft and in many cases the tenants end up trying to take advantage of him, all students.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've never met a good landlord to be honest.
The first one I met who didn't fix the toilet in my ensuite. The toilet couldn't flush properly.
The second one just allowed random people who could access into my room
The third one neglected the repair requests ( well the things already didn't work on the day I moved in)
I don't mind change the light bulbs but the type of the lights in the room were different from normal lights...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending