The Student Room Group

Course Choices?

Hello...

First off, sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum. I'm a scrub and this is my first ever post :biggrin:

This might be a tad long, so please bear with me :smile:

So I got my SQA results yesterday (I'm going into fifth year, so these are all National 5's I sat at the end of fourth year):-

English- A
Maths- A
Physics- A
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
French- A

I'm hoping to get five A's next year as I'm wanting to be a dentist in the future, but I'm stuck between choosing French and Physics.

In Fifth year, I'm definitely going to studying English, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. In the course choice we did before the holidays, I chose Physics- but the day before we come back to school, we can go to school and change our subjects if needed- which I'm thinking of doing (I'm going to have to send my parents as I'm away on DofE then).

I'm really strong in French (got full marks in my speaking test and in prelims XD) and find it really easy, and had really good teachers. The only problem is, I'm worried I won't get a decent teacher next year so I dropped it :frown:. A lot of the old French teachers have left so I didn't want to get a rubbish one when it really mattered.

Physics- To be honest, I hate the class. I find it confusing and had a horrific teacher in third year who made me hate the subject with a passion. I had a great teacher last year, but even so I still had to get a tutor as I really wasn't getting the material. The exam really threw me off and I'm still believing I should have failed it as I honestly feel like I don't get it at all. The other two Physics teachers are great and I've the Head this year (don't know if that's changing though, Physics is traditionally done awfully by our school- only one person got an A at National 5 last year, out of three full classes)

I'm worried that universities won't think French is as good as Physics (please no one get offended at this) and I was thinking as I already speak Arabic fluently, do I really need another language (that's apparently declining in demand)? But as I already take two other sciences, isn't that enough (especially as I don't think I'm going to pull an A in Higher- it's impossible ((for me :s-smilie:))).

I'd really appreciate if someone could read through my rambling train of thought and advise me on what to pick hahaha... Just needed some different opinions from an outsider's perspective.

Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, and don't hesitate to blast questions at me if needed :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest