The Student Room Group

Help- Tutors refusing to write references?

Hi,

I really need everyone's help! Would be grateful for any advice... preferably something useful. :s

I just graduated from uni in June but my academic supervisors are refusing to write me a ref. I received good marks from the papers they taught me. I've contacted one of my other tutors and they've advised that academic staff have 'no obligation' to help me. I think they do; I did pay for my degree after all. What should I do? I'm applying for Masters and have put 1 application in but references are pending. Can someone advise on what to do?! How can I challenge the uni's position? Someone help me please!
This is pretty unusual. Did you do something to antagonise them while you were there? Normally you would have a project supervisor or personal tutor (i.e. someone who actually knows you) who would write you a reference as a matter of course, but they are under no obligation.

Usually if you refuse to write someone a reference, it is because you would not recommend them. Better silence than a negative reference.
Original post by Eggs and Ham
I think they do; I did pay for my degree after all

You're wrong and I hope this doesn't reflect the way in which you have been communicating with your former tutors. If it does then your attitude sucks and this may be a clue as to why nobody will give you a reference. The government decrees that students must pay their own fees. That doesn't make universities a service industry, nor does it put university tutors at your beck-and-call after you've completed your degree.

That said, assuming you are actually a nicer and more reasonable person than your post implies, there are some benign reasons why you may have been struggling:

How much notice did you give when you asked? How soon do these references need to be provided? If you ask people for references with a very short period of notice they are more likely to simply say no.

Have you actually been told "no" by every tutor you have asked? It is the middle of summer. Tutors are researching, writing next year's lectures, on holiday with their families, and so forth. If emails have been ignored, this may be why.

Did you behave yourself as a student? Submit essays on time, maintain a good record of seminar attendance, avoid any disciplinary offences?

What was the final classification of your degree? Supposing that you got a third, your tutors may not wish to endorse you as someone capable of postgraduate study.

How can I challenge the uni's position? Someone help me please!

You cannot "challenge" it. You can only ask nicely and attempt to persuade someone. Work down the list of EVERY tutor who had contact with you while you were at uni.

Try phoning tutors rather than emailing. If they say no, you can ask why not; you may be able to change their minds, and it's harder to say no to people on the phone.

But really, tutors are usually happy to give references. It's part of their job. They want you to prosper in your future career. Unless they thought you were a tit and you made trouble for them. So, if everyone who knew you at university refuses then really, the problem is likely to be located at your end.

If all else fails, apply without a reference and see what happens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nonswimmer
You're wrong and I hope this doesn't reflect the way in which you have been communicating with your former tutors. If it does then your attitude sucks and this may be a clue as to why nobody will give you a reference. The government decrees that students must pay their own fees. That doesn't make universities a service industry, nor does it put university tutors at your beck-and-call after you've completed your degree.

Quite an assumption you've made there. Obviously I've been nice and polite and highlighted my good points (good marks achieved in exams etc and thanked them for helping me throughout the year).

I haven't given them a deadline by which they can write it- simply asked them if they would be happy to. But to have someone respond saying 'I can't do it' is disheartening especially since no reason was given. 2 said no and 2 have not responded but they're usually very reliable. I did contact one other personal tutor and they said it's the research period so I'm guessing it's the busy period. But the impression I am getting is that they don't want to write one for me even if the end result was good.

I wouldn't say I was troublesome. I did okay in the end and only approached those I got good marks for. Sometimes I did submit late essays but I had an extenuating circumstance for that and I don't know if they're aware or sympathetic. I will contact them again highlighting this. I don't know if it's worth calling them- I don't think academics have phones and I've graduated now, so I don't know how I would call them. They're often not based at desks.
Find another member of staff at the university willing to write you a reference.

I've done this to get references for jobs I've left where I've not trusted some members of management to write well of me: I've just made sure to request the reference from people who I trust more with it.

Good luck.
2 said no and 2 have not responded but they're usually very reliable.

Do you know these two who said know personally? I wouldn't write a reference for a student I didn't know.

I don't think academics have phones and I've graduated now, so I don't know how I would call them. They're often not based at desks.

What the actual F?
Original post by chazwomaq

What the actual F?

Sorry, what do you mean by this? I don't have access to their phone number, I can only e-mail them. People communicate with academics via e-mail now.
Sorry, what do you mean by this? I don't have access to their phone number, I can only e-mail them. People communicate with academics via e-mail now.

Well I'm an academic and I get phone calls all the time on my office phone. I can find the phone number of almost every colleague I know in about 10 seconds on google.
Keep trying (politely, and without harassing) the two academics who haven't replied yet, but do bear in mind you may not hear anything until September, as this period is when a lot of academics are away researching and writing, and often try to minimise email contact. I'm having a similar issue in that I am trying to contact a prof (who has written references for me before) about supporting an application I'm making soon, and he hasn't responded yet. But he's likely away, or ignoring email as I know he's trying to finish a book manuscript. So don't panic yet.

I will say though that it is unusual to have academics say no outright to writing you a letter. It means that they feel that they can't write you a positive letter, or at least a neutral-ish letter. That would concern me if I was applying to postgraduate courses honestly, as I would take it as a sign that perhaps I am not at the standard required. But that's just my view. Good luck with the applications!

Has you ever actually been in a lecturer's office?! ALL academics have phones.
I think your question has more or less been answered here.

As an academic I can say that yes writing references for students is part of my job and I want to see my students do well but I would say no to writing a ref for someone if I feel that they're not up to the mark because it's my professional integrity on the line too. And yes we all have phones and our phone numbers are accessible through our department webpages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending