I need help picking a subject? *Please help* *URGENT*

Watch
AdviceForMe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey there,

So I'm struggling at the moment with what subject to pick, I seriously can't decide what to do.

Let me start off with my current qualifications. I am a 17 year old male who has taken his GCSE's last year and completed his first year of Graphic Design Level 3 this year. Now, although most would say "Why not carry on doing Graphic Design?" The problem with that is, I'm not just not feeling the motivation in all honesty. I didn't take any art or computer related courses at GCSE's, and I decided to pick this course last year as I was struggling immensely on what to pick back then as well.

Although I do enjoy the course as I have made a lot of good friends who always make me laugh and smile, I'm actually struggling with the course work, obviously because my lack of skill. I barely just managed to get into the second year with getting 3 passes, I actually struggled to achieve them, I had to keep resubmitting my work in order to pass. And I don't want to be on a course where I have to keep worrying about stressing about each project.

So with that being said, I can't even imagine how I would get along in the second year, I don't want to risk failing and having to retake the year and having to pay a hefty fee.

It's not just that though, I also can't see myself getting some sort of design-related job in the future, so I'm tempted to just leave the course and find a new one, is it too late for that though? College starts again in just under a month.

Now for the main question:

What course should I take? I'm struggling on what path to go down. I was either thinking: Media, Health and social care or sport.

Which one would be the most viable?

I actually got a Merit for P.E at GCSE's, and a Distinction for health and social care at GCSE's, however, with Media, I have had no passed experience whatsoever.

At the moment I am really looking towards taking a Level 3 Health and Social care course, but the thing is, I don't want to be the only boy in my class... I know the female to male ratio is ridiculously off. And I'm not just stating this statistic out of worry, I'm stating this statistic out of passed experience (I was actually the only boy in my whole class/year doing Health and Social care at GCSE's, it was pretty horrid, I felt so awkward and left out) That's why I'm worried about taking it again as a course now, I don't want that to happen for another 2 years again. Plus, I actually want to make friends at College, and obviously I would get a greater chance with other males as opposed to females.

Anyway, thank you for reading, all responses will be greatly appreciated. I really hope I would be able to get some help!

-AdviceForMe

Oh also, despite picking BTEC, are you able to pick more then one course while at Uni? was just wondering.
Moonschool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What course should I take?
Well since you dropped out of your Level 3 course because you struggled with it, I would recommended you pick a course that you know you won't struggle with and will be motivated to put the work in.

I don't want to be the only boy in my class... I was actually the only boy in my whole class/year doing Health and Social care at GCSE's, it was pretty horrid, I felt so awkward and left out

Big difference between doing GCSE at school and Level 3 BTEC at college. At school people already knew each other, they would hang around with the friendship groups they have already made over the past few years. At college almost everyone will be new to each other, nobody will know what everyone is like, so they will talk to you and get to know you. I think since you are the only boy would be more of an advantage as you would be the one to stand out and the one who people are going to want to talk to. Also to say you have a greater chance to make friends with females is that you are either no confident around girls or you are just being an idiot.

Oh also, despite picking BTEC, are you able to pick more then one course while at Uni?
You can do joint honours at university but they usually require two BTEC courses or two A-Levels. E.g. at Aston University to do BSc Computing Science and Mathematics (Joint Honours) you need DDD in your National Diploma and a B at A-Level maths. (http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergr...d-mathematics/)
I'm not the best at joint honours courses, so I'm probably wrong but someone will correct me.
AdviceForMe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Moonschool;58214407]
Big difference between doing GCSE at school and Level 3 BTEC at college. At school people already knew each other, they would hang around with the friendship groups they have already made over the past few years. At college almost everyone will be new to each other, nobody will know what everyone is like, so they will talk to you and get to know you. I think since you are the only boy would be more of an advantage as you would be the one to stand out and the one who people are going to want to talk to. Also to say you have a greater chance to make friends with females is that you are either no confident around girls or you are just being an idiot.

It's not that I'm scared about not getting along with 'girls' it's purely the fact that I don't really want to have close 'girl-friends'. It's just weird :/ I'll be much more comfortable around guys, I've never had a close 'girl-friend' in my life.

[A girl - friend not a girlfriend btw. XD]
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AdviceForMe)
Hey there,

So I'm struggling at the moment with what subject to pick, I seriously can't decide what to do.

Let me start off with my current qualifications. I am a 17 year old male who has taken his GCSE's last year and completed his first year of Graphic Design Level 3 this year. Now, although most would say "Why not carry on doing Graphic Design?" The problem with that is, I'm not just not feeling the motivation in all honesty. I didn't take any art or computer related courses at GCSE's, and I decided to pick this course last year as I was struggling immensely on what to pick back then as well.

Although I do enjoy the course as I have made a lot of good friends who always make me laugh and smile, I'm actually struggling with the course work, obviously because my lack of skill. I barely just managed to get into the second year with getting 3 passes, I actually struggled to achieve them, I had to keep resubmitting my work in order to pass. And I don't want to be on a course where I have to keep worrying about stressing about each project.

So with that being said, I can't even imagine how I would get along in the second year, I don't want to risk failing and having to retake the year and having to pay a hefty fee.

It's not just that though, I also can't see myself getting some sort of design-related job in the future, so I'm tempted to just leave the course and find a new one, is it too late for that though? College starts again in just under a month.

Now for the main question:

What course should I take? I'm struggling on what path to go down. I was either thinking: Media, Health and social care or sport.

Which one would be the most viable?

I actually got a Merit for P.E at GCSE's, and a Distinction for health and social care at GCSE's, however, with Media, I have had no passed experience whatsoever.

At the moment I am really looking towards taking a Level 3 Health and Social care course, but the thing is, I don't want to be the only boy in my class... I know the female to male ratio is ridiculously off. And I'm not just stating this statistic out of worry, I'm stating this statistic out of passed experience (I was actually the only boy in my whole class/year doing Health and Social care at GCSE's, it was pretty horrid, I felt so awkward and left out) That's why I'm worried about taking it again as a course now, I don't want that to happen for another 2 years again. Plus, I actually want to make friends at College, and obviously I would get a greater chance with other males as opposed to females.

Anyway, thank you for reading, all responses will be greatly appreciated. I really hope I would be able to get some help!

-AdviceForMe

Oh also, despite picking BTEC, are you able to pick more then one course while at Uni? was just wondering.
Have you thought about doing A Levels?

Since you can't really decide what lane to go down right now, that can give you more time to do the courses and see if you enjoy those subjects. Some places you can choose 3 A-levels or 4 depending on your GCSE grades...

More than one course at University

At some Uni's you can do a joint degree (equal) or a major & minor (major will be the course that determines the majority of your grade - can work out to be 75% for your major and 25% for your minor)

Example: If you wanted to study health care and sports science at Uni.
It would look something like this....

Major/Minor: Health Care with Sports Science (75:25)

Joint: Health Care and Sports Science. (50:50)

Whether it's a BA Honors or BSc depends on your Uni, but that would be what's on your certificate.

Found an article that may also help.

Hope this helped!

Bee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (64)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.49%
No - I live at home during term anyway (137)
28.9%

Watched Threads