Lucywalker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How different is Geography GCSE to Geography A-Level?
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my experience not very. We were with AQA and the only big difference was essays. 15 mark essay questions at AS and a 40 mark essay at A2, but you get used to them very quickly. You also need to know case study information in much more detail, but general course content is similar (just a level up) and if you liked it at GCSE you'll probably love it at A-level because it's way more interesting. Hope this helps
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lucywalker)
How different is Geography GCSE to Geography A-Level?
I did both AQA GCSE and A-level with geography and obviously because it was on the same exam board it wasnt very different... but these are the differences...

- you need to learn and understand processes in much greater detail at A-level for physical geography
- you are expected to use keywords in all your answers at A-level to get high marks
- at A-level there is much more to learn
- you are required at A-level to write longer answer questions with much more emphasis based on case studies
Artfanatic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I loved it at AS but the A2 exam I think is pretty crap. I am not a natural born writer so I found it hard to adapt I guess! (Something to consider when thinking about taking it for 2 years I guess?)
Fuenciado
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The actual content i s pretty similar, obviously things go into a bit more detail and you need to know case studies more thoroughly, the main difference is that questions tend to be more long answers/essays as opposed to like 4 mark questions etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
TimmyR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found GCSE much easier which I got an A in.
I only had 2 lessons a week doing Geography so a lot of my studying was outside of school in AS. The grade boundaries are really low, you need around 40% for a C but you do go into significantly more detail and you definitely must know all your case studies (not so great on my part).

Other than that, the transition isn't that hard in comparison to other A levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads