The Student Room Group

M1 question

Please see attached photo. What is meant by 'the line of action of the force is in THE SAME VERTICAL PLANE as the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane'.
The line of greatest slope of the inclined plane is going up the plane? Not vertically? Or is this vertically in relation to the plane so therefore is up the plane? Please can you explain the wording?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
Please see attached photo. What is meant by 'the line of action of the force is in THE SAME VERTICAL PLANE as the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane'.
The line of greatest slope of the inclined plane is going up the plane? Not vertically? Or is this vertically in relation to the plane so therefore is up the plane? Please can you explain the wording?

Can't see the photo.

I think I understand "The line of greatest slope of the inclined plane" If you imagine the slope a line then you have to go up the line so you will be going up the greatest slope. But if the slope was 2D, as it will be, you could go up that slope "the long way" so the angle of the slope you would be going up wouldn't be as big. Does that make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maggiehodgson
Can't see the photo.

I think I understand "The line of greatest slope of the inclined plane" If you imagine the slope a line then you have to go up the line so you will be going up the greatest slope. But if the slope was 2D, as it will be, you could go up that slope "the long way" so the angle of the slope you would be going up wouldn't be as big. Does that make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1438800475.972415.jpg
Yes thank you. Can you see this photo?does it mean anything different here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It probably means that the horizontal force is parallel to the ground so it makes an angle of 30 degrees with the slope. I suppose if you were going up the slope the long way then the angle of the force wouldn't be 30 degrees.

I do hope someone else joins in this thread because I'm only supposing. I have tried holding a piece of paper up at an angle, drawing on both types of routes and looking to see if I can see a difference in the angle of a force by using a poking out pen. Unfortunately my little experiment didn't lead to a reliable conclusion.

I am following the thread with hopefulness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had another idea.

If you have a laptop, move the screen so that it's a slope. Imagine a line going from bottom to top and also parallel to the sides of the screen. That's the line of greatest slope. Now get a pen and place the point on the line so that the pen sticks right out of the screen rather than approaching the line from the side. You can move the pen end up and down to make an angle with the line but still having it poking straight out. I think that that represents the force line.

I still hope someone joins in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's essentially saying that everything is in 2D. the 'line of action of the force' is the direction of the force, so in the diagram it is the line with the arrow. the line of greatest slope is the line that goes straight up the slope. imagine it in 3D, you could go straight up the slope, or you could also go up, but also left/right a bit. this is written in the book so you know that ALL of the force that is applied is being used to keep it in equilibrium, as opposed to just a component (an amount) of the force. the 'same vertical plane' just clears up that the force is being applied to the mass, and not a metre to either side, as if this was the case, the side on diagram would still look the same.
Reply 6
I see that you guys are discussing mathematics. Just to help you all, i recently used an Online tutoring service for my Kid who is in Grade 10th and these guys did a great job! Maddy (My kid) got an A+. The best part is that this service is VERY VERY reasonable as compared to the tutoring rates we usually find here in England. I would highly recommend them in case you need further assistance. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14O8ua-BvW2BQDfNeZsDbyU9DLx6vu49eO5LLCl0NfsM/viewform?edit_requested=true#
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest