I think I've made a mistake with my course choice Watch

This discussion is closed.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, I apologise in advance if this post is long, but I hope you can give me some advice.

I currently have Keele University as my firm choice uni to study BSc Geology and Physical Geography (majoring in geology). The thing is, I'm beginning to think that this was a bad idea and I am now unsure whether I still want to study physical geography or not.

Basically, none of my AS or A2 Level geography exams went particularly well (I got a low C in AS geography and I badly ran out of time in my A2 geography exams, despite having 25% extra time AND typing), so I'm not expecting higher than a C overall (which wouldn't meet my offer anyway as it specified a B in geography).

Those dodgy geography exams have seriously knocked my confidence in geography (and honestly made me somewhat hate the subject), and now I think that a pure Geology degree would be a better option. If I do get into Keele, I'm wondering whether it's actually worth going as I'm already so unsure about the course, and so I'm thinking about reapplying elsewhere for another course (probably plain Geology) instead as I also don't want to go to my insurance, which is Portsmouth.

To summarize, if I do somehow get into Keele, do you think that it would be worth having a go at the course anyway, or would it be a waste of time considering I've already struggled a lot with geography at A Level?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
alexp98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generally if you do poor at A level then you've got no chance doing that at Uni, at all. For economics apparently in the first month of Uni you complete the whole A level course in the first few weeks so that gives you the idea the pace of the work. Not to mention it will inevitably be incredibly harder of course.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi everyone, I apologise in advance if this post is long, but I hope you can give me some advice.

I currently have Keele University as my firm choice uni to study BSc Geology and Physical Geography (majoring in geology). The thing is, I'm beginning to think that this was a bad idea and I am now unsure whether I still want to study physical geography or not.

Basically, none of my AS or A2 Level geography exams went particularly well (I got a low C in AS geography and I badly ran out of time in my A2 geography exams, despite having 25% extra time AND typing), so I'm not expecting higher than a C overall (which wouldn't meet my offer anyway as it specified a B in geography).

Those dodgy geography exams have seriously knocked my confidence in geography (and honestly made me somewhat hate the subject), and now I think that a pure Geology degree would be a better option. If I do get into Keele, I'm wondering whether it's actually worth going as I'm already so unsure about the course, and so I'm thinking about reapplying elsewhere for another course (probably plain Geology) instead as I also don't want to go to my insurance, which is Portsmouth.

To summarize, if I do somehow get into Keele, do you think that it would be worth having a go at the course anyway, or would it be a waste of time considering I've already struggled a lot with geography at A Level?

Have you considered contacting keele to ask if a transfer to single honours geology rather than having it just as a major would be possible?
If you are 100% sure you don't want to go to your insurance contact them and see if they can get you out of your insurance offer before results day.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
Generally if you do poor at A level then you've got no chance doing that at Uni, at all. For economics apparently in the first month of Uni you complete the whole A level course in the first few weeks so that gives you the idea the pace of the work. Not to mention it will inevitably be incredibly harder of course.
Although the chance is pretty low it does not mean its completely impossible to improve in that subject to a university standard (From personal experience having gone from an E grade in a level biology to achieving an 80% in a 1st year university anatomy exam). But yes if OP has lost his passion for the subject then improving in university would be very difficult.
alexp98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Although the chance is pretty low it does not mean its completely impossible to improve in that subject to a university standard (From personal experience having gone from an E grade in a level biology to achieving an 80% in a 1st year university anatomy exam). But yes if OP has lost his passion for the subject then improving in university would be very difficult.
of course. Although, to me it sounds like you always had the academic potential but it was another factor that let you down during A level? Because that's very unusual otherwise I want to do economics at uni but know I'll stand no chance in hell if I get a C at AS this year
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
of course. Although, to me it sounds like you always had the academic potential but it was another factor that let you down during A level? Because that's very unusual otherwise I want to do economics at uni but know I'll stand no chance in hell if I get a C at AS this year
I ve known people to go from Cs at as to pretty decent B's at A2 don't lose hope, you haven't had your results yet so don't start panicking There s always a way you can find to get there (foundation entry,joint honours and things like that), you just have to find it

Well there were a few factors that affected my a levels so i suppose had they not existed then I could have got higher grades. Saying that I know of coursemates that made a good level of improvement between a levels and their grades in first year, some people just do much better in a university environment and being able to learn more independently in a way that suits them i guess.
alexp98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I ve known people to go from Cs at as to pretty decent B's at A2 don't lose hope, you haven't had your results yet so don't start panicking There s always a way you can find to get there (foundation entry,joint honours and things like that), you just have to find it

Well there were a few factors that affected my a levels so i suppose had they not existed then I could have got higher grades. Saying that I know of coursemates that made a good level of improvement between a levels and their grades in first year, some people just do much better in a university environment and being able to learn more independently in a way that suits them i guess.
Thanks that's given me a lot more hope. Yeah i 100% prefer being more independent and can be very shy in class, especially English Lit where you have to talk a lot. I'm really looking forward to Uni, just need to make sure I work hard during A2. How is University life for you now?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks that's given me a lot more hope. Yeah i 100% prefer being more independent and can be very shy in class, especially English Lit where you have to talk a lot. I'm really looking forward to Uni, just need to make sure I work hard during A2. How is University life for you now?
Uni life could not be better, gotten better and better since first year
Harper Adams University
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

HI, if you want to discuss other options - like finding a new course via clearing, you might want consider one of these:

http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/underg...t#.VcR1H_lVhBd

http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/underg...de/courses.cfm
Keele University
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hi Leviathan1741,

It's Ian again from Keele University, I did message you yesterday, but if you do have anything else crop up at all please don't hesitate to contact me!

Ian
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Keele University)
Hi Leviathan1741,

It's Ian again from Keele University, I did message you yesterday, but if you do have anything else crop up at all please don't hesitate to contact me!

Ian
Hi Ian

I got your message but didn't get round to replying - for now I am going to wait for my results and then decide what to do from there.

Thank you for your help
TriksyBob
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The concern over your course is the least of your worries. Take a closer look at exactly where you have opted to spend 3 years of your life. The surrounding location is nothing short of a wasteland. Unless you're happy to sit on campus for the duration of your degree, you'll find more entertainment and stimulation on the moon.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by TriksyBob)
The concern over your course is the least of your worries. Take a closer look at exactly where you have opted to spend 3 years of your life. The surrounding location is nothing short of a wasteland. Unless you're happy to sit on campus for the duration of your degree, you'll find more entertainment and stimulation on the moon.
I appreciate your reply, however I opted to come to Keele and have been perfectly happy with my decision so far
Artjen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TriksyBob)
I think this would depend whether you have a working brain and use of your legs (or alternative transport) in seeking out your "entertainment". Though funnily enough Keele does have a very good observatory, so the moon is always there if you're really stuck.
TriksyBob
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Artjen)
I think this would depend whether you have a working brain and use of your legs (or alternative transport) in seeking out your "entertainment". Though funnily enough Keele does have a very good observatory, so the moon is always there if you're really stuck.
Great answer! But 3 years confined to a 60s campus would make my brain stop permanently.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The original post is from2015 - please stop responding ......
TriksyBob
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I appreciate your reply, however I opted to come to Keele and have been perfectly happy with my decision so far
Keele campus is fine. Glad you're enjoying it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?