The Student Room Group

How do I get into IB when everything I've done is unrelated?

Hi,

I am about to go into my final year of University and have recently decided that I want to get into investment banking. The issue is, everything I have done up until now has prepared me for government.

In my first and second years of college I took up work experience in Allen&Overy and Parliament, in my first year of University I worked in the economic department of a Council. this Summer I am working in an internship scheme that basically shapes prospective interns for the civil service fast stream (my main department is Business, innovation and Skills), and I recently received an offer to do an industrial placement in Parliament again next year before continuing onto the final year of my Politics undergraduate degree at the University of York.

I have an ideal academic background for a career in Politics/Government. However, after careful consideration about what I really want in life, I have decided that I cannot proceed along this path. :frown:

Is there any way at all to break into investment banking from my current position? I was considering trying my hand at the civil service fast stream once I graduate and then applying for jobs in IB, as I have heard that the scheme makes candidates attractive well-rounded individuals. Does anyone else have any other ideas?
Go into consulting.
Look for grad jobs. Tune your exp to IB, research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending