The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizziefickling
It does say that yes, however I have the BVSc veterinary science guidance notes sat in front of me.
When they say a minimum of 10 points, that pretty much means 5 A's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough, my bad :tongue: . Although it seems a little unfair that they say one thing and mean another :K:

By any chance do you have a link to the guidance notes? :smile: Cheers
Reply 21
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Not true :wink: , Liverpool want 10 points, where A/A* = 2 points and B = 1 point, so jovi1983's son might be fine there depending on what the As are in. He needs at least a B in English, maths and physics.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-science-bvsc/entry-requirements/[/QUO
I think from school he got A in double science B in maths B In English I know the c was art A in history A in geography he got one more A but I can't remember what for I know in gcse he got 4 As 3 B's and 1C in As year he got b in chemistry c In biology resat that to a b c in psychology d in maths in A2 he got B biology B in chemistry and C in psychology only he thought he could transfer after one year from vet nurse to vet med but I now know can't it was him who seemed to think he could he keeps saying because we own a dairy farm he's more likely to be accepted I know this isn't right he do have experience with cattle but nothing else he hasn't helped with any sheep pigs etc he has done 15 hours with a large animal vet but nothing else I do think unless he resits all his A2 exams to get them to AAA and get more experience with other animals including small animal vets then he dont stand a chance and he seems like he only wants to apply to nottingham
Ah fair enough, my bad :tongue: . Although it seems a little unfair that they say one thing and mean another :K:

By any chance do you have a link to the guidance notes? :smile: Cheers

There is no link lol, it's a booklet which we got given because I did the open day back in June. They will probably change it in September again as well since they like to make it harder to get in every year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="jovi1983;58554371"]
Not true :wink: , Liverpool want 10 points, where A/A* = 2 points and B = 1 point, so jovi1983's son might be fine there depending on what the As are in. He needs at least a B in English, maths and physics.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-science-bvsc/entry-requirements/[/QUO
I think from school he got A in double science B in maths B In English I know the c was art A in history A in geography he got one more A but I can't remember what for I know in gcse he got 4 As 3 B's and 1C in As year he got b in chemistry c In biology resat that to a b c in psychology d in maths in A2 he got B biology B in chemistry and C in psychology only he thought he could transfer after one year from vet nurse to vet med but I now know can't it was him who seemed to think he could he keeps saying because we own a dairy farm he's more likely to be accepted I know this isn't right he do have experience with cattle but nothing else he hasn't helped with any sheep pigs etc he has done 15 hours with a large animal vet but nothing else I do think unless he resits all his A2 exams to get them to AAA and get more experience with other animals including small animal vets then he dont stand a chance and he seems like he only wants to apply to nottingham

Nope, he isn't more likely to get in because you own a dairy farm. When It comes to ems at vet school you're only allowed to actually 1 week on your own farm, so they aren't going to take someone purely just because they are from a farm background. Secondly, he needs more work experience even for Nottingham. Each university has a guideline on how much and what area they want the WEX in, without the minimum he won't get offered an interview. Nottingham send out WEX forms to fill in before interview, as well as a load of other forms. He can be picky when it comes to where he is desperate to go to, but ONLY if he meets the grade requirements and the work experience requirements, and there is no point in him only applying to just the one university Which he is desperate to go to when you get a Max of 4 vet schools to apply to with ucas.
To put it simply, he needs to get the grades and he needs to get the work experience in more areas than just large animal practice and cows to stand a chance of competing with the thousands of applicants to vet school each year, he needs to fight for his place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
If that's the case then his GCSEs allow him to apply to Liverpool if he were to retake his A-Levels. He could resit a GCSE too to allow him to apply to others, but that's quite a lot of work if he's already doing A2 exams, plus the structure of GCSEs is changing so he'd need to look into that.

One possible thing to consider, some vet school offer 'gateway' programs. These are an extra year in duration (so six years instead of five), and are aimed at giving people from disadvantaged backgrounds a place in vet school. They have lower entrance requirements as they bear in mind the context under which grades are achieved, but have other criteria such as household income and no parental higher education. The universities that offer this are the RVC, Nottingham and Bristol. I have no idea whether your son will qualify for this, but it's something to look into since it could mean having to do no/fewer resits.

To be honest, I really think your son should do some of his own research into the career, he seems a little misguided at the moment. TSR is a great start since there are so many helpful articles on here.
Thankyou for your help he wouldn't qualify for the gateway one and yes he needs to research into this himself I don't know who tells him he can switch from vet nurse to vet med after one yr but thank you for your support
Reply 25
[QUOTE="Lizziefickling;58554569"]
Original post by jovi1983

Nope, he isn't more likely to get in because you own a dairy farm. When It comes to ems at vet school you're only allowed to actually 1 week on your own farm, so they aren't going to take someone purely just because they are from a farm background. Secondly, he needs more work experience even for Nottingham. Each university has a guideline on how much and what area they want the WEX in, without the minimum he won't get offered an interview. Nottingham send out WEX forms to fill in before interview, as well as a load of other forms. He can be picky when it comes to where he is desperate to go to, but ONLY if he meets the grade requirements and the work experience requirements, and there is no point in him only applying to just the one university Which he is desperate to go to when you get a Max of 4 vet schools to apply to with ucas.
To put it simply, he needs to get the grades and he needs to get the work experience in more areas than just large animal practice and cows to stand a chance of competing with the thousands of applicants to vet school each year, he needs to fight for his place.
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Thankyou

Latest

Trending

Trending