The Student Room Group

Sex is part of nature, sexuality isn't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
Possibly to an extent. I mean it's nice, but, it has it's place.....which isn't all the time.

Are you or aren't you. Because if you are, you would be wrong.

It has been well observed throughout the animal kingdom of animals having sex without the goal of reproduction. Bonobos are a key animal in this respect as they are well known to use sex as a tool for social bonding, not just reproduction. They also are well know for having homosexual relationships, which is included both the males and females.
Original post by NHM713
Well, it is. It's also used as a social bonding thing.

Fantasies, turn ons, fetishes.....and even who we fancy.

So is it or is it not only reproductive intercourse that you counting as 'sex' or as 'natural'? :confused:

Just FYI it would probably be simpler for you to do a general post explaining what exactly it is you are trying to say or questions or whatever.
Reply 22
Original post by minimarshmallow
Why does it matter if something is natural or not?

Indeed, good point.
Reply 23
Original post by lucaf
They are both obviously natural. The instinct to reproduce manifests itself as a desire to have sex, normally with the opposite sex. That isn't cultural imposed, so it is natural.

Are you going to explain why they aren't, or just make unfounded claims like you usually do :wink:

I don't think so, maybe I said it wrong, but you can want to have sex and it be because of sexuality an example of this would be, because of a fantasy you have.

and there is having sex to make babies, or maybe to bond with a partner.
Original post by NHM713
I don't think so, maybe I said it wrong, but you can want to have sex and it be because of sexuality an example of this would be, because of a fantasy you have.

Are you saying that animals have sex specifically with making babies in mind? :curious:
Reply 25
Original post by DiddyDec
Are you or aren't you. Because if you are, you would be wrong.

It has been well observed throughout the animal kingdom of animals having sex without the goal of reproduction. Bonobos are a key animal in this respect as they are well known to use sex as a tool for social bonding, not just reproduction. They also are well know for having homosexual relationships, which is included both the males and females.

Yeah, but we are not Bonobos, we're humans, we're up a level. I mean more on the lines of fantasies and fetishes as well as hetero/homosexual, but I'm not so centred on that.
I guess when actual problems dry up on TSR, you gotta create them....
Original post by NHM713
Yeah, but we are not Bonobos, we're humans, we're up a level. I mean more on the lines of fantasies and fetishes as well as hetero/homosexual, but I'm not so centred on that.

What are you centred on? We cannot have a conversation if you don't even know what the topic is.

You said it was "unnatural" but you don't have a definition for unnatural. What more can anyone say if you just flit between one idea and another?
I got instantly what you meant OP and agree wholeheartedly
Original post by DiddyDec
What are you centred on? We cannot have a conversation if you don't even know what the topic is.

You said it was "unnatural" but you don't have a definition for unnatural. What more can anyone say if you just flit between one idea and another?

By 'natural' she means biologically determined from birth
Reply 30
Original post by NHM713

Sexual desire is natural, and therefore so is acting on it regardless of whether it is for reproductive purposes or not. Specific kinks and fetishes are not, but hetero/homosexuality are (as who you are attracted to is determined in the broadest sense by nature)
Reply 31
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
What are you defining 'natural' as? Really all you've done is be extremely vague about everything.

I guess something real, actual, actually taking place.
Doing it for the purpose of making something real.

Then there is sexuality, which isn't, and is down to preference, or ideas you have.
like I said, fantasies.....which aren't real/natural.
Step 1: Invent a pair of mutually contradictory statements that are patently impossible to resolve or understand.

Step 2: Pretend to understand them, thus creating the illusion that you are cleverer than everyone else, who can't.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by minimarshmallow
Why does it matter if something is natural or not?

Because the of the confusion it causes.
Original post by NHM713

Then there is sexuality, which isn't, and is down to preference, or ideas you have.

Are they (the fantasies) not real? In what sense? I would say your sexual fantasies and preferences are just as real as the sex that you have...or as any other thought/desire you have.

I guess you would claim that hunger isn't natural/real/actual but eating is? :confused:
Original post by Harrie Lyons
I got instantly what you meant OP and agree wholeheartedly

Same
Reply 36
Original post by NHM713
Because the of the confusion it causes.

What an utterly meaningless statement.
Reply 37
Original post by lucaf
The fact we are not born with sexual tendencies doesn't mean they are not natural. I was not born with the ability to produce viable sperm, the fact that ability develops later in life doesn't make it unnatural. SexualIt is natural, it just develops later because that is when it serves a purpose.

Yes, it does develop later on, but, with a lot less layers than there are. Sexual fantasies are not real, or that natural.

Original post by lucaf

Bonobos, one of our closest relatives, have sex for social bonding purposes. Non reproductive sex is perfectly natural.

Still not human, I'm afraid.
Original post by NHM713

What makes something real or not?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Step 1: Invent a pair of mutually contradictory statements that are patently impossible to resolve or understand.

Step 2: Pretend to understand them, thus creating the illusion that you are cleverer than everyone else, who can't.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit.

It's pretty obvious what she meant: the existence of sexual desire is determined by biology, how and onto what that desire is projected isn't (only in so far that the mind is understood to be independent of biology, that is another question)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest