The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

What happens if you reject your accommodation offer?

My daughter put the 3 new blocks down as her 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice, and 4 of the older blocks down as her 4th to 7th choices.

She has been adamant from day 1 that she did NOT want to stay in one of the older ones due to the shared bathroom and single bed, but the online application insisted on entering 7 choices, so she put the 4 older ones as her lower choices, hoping she'd get one of her top 3.

As it turns out she's been offered an older one (Muirhead, her 5th choice) and she really, genuinely, does not want to stay there.

My question is, what happens is she rejects it? Can she reapply? Is there any point in doing so? I mean, isn't it safe to assume her first 3 choices must be full, hence any re-appliction isn't going to get her one of those 3?

I'm conscious of the fact that they encourage first years to live on-campus and I'll certainly speak to her and encourage her to accept it, but she is properly heartbroken and really does not want to stay there. We have visited all the blocks at Open Day and Applicant's Day and she is quite claustrophobic and is panicking at the thought of staying in such a small room.

Thanks for any advice
I think I'm in exactly the same position actually, haha. I have an anxiety disorder and was relying on not having to share a bathroom in order to get through the experience with minimal panic attacks, but I don't know how likely it is seeing as Muirhead was something like my fourth choice, and I'm betting the newer ones filled up really fast. Finding myself desperately wishing I had an unconditional and could have applied earlier!
(edited 8 years ago)
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by wrightnow
I think I'm in exactly the same position actually, haha. I have an anxiety disorder and was relying on not having to share a bathroom in order to get through the experience with minimal panic attacks, but I don't know how likely it is seeing as Muirhead was something like my fourth choice, and I'm betting the newer ones filled up really fast. Finding myself desperately wishing I had an unconditional and could have applied earlier!

The best advice we got is accept the offer as the accommodation has filled up fast, some folk on Twitter saying they're not getting anything, but then email accommodation services and explain your situation and ask if possible to be moved to a newer block.

Are you in Muirhead for next year?
Original post by MoodyM
The best advice we got is accept the offer as the accommodation has filled up fast, some folk on Twitter saying they're not getting anything, but then email accommodation services and explain your situation and ask if possible to be moved to a newer block.

Are you in Muirhead for next year?

Yeah I am, no idea how the room number works (would be cool if me and her were in the same flat hah!).

I explained in the "notes" section of the application like we were told to at the applicant day, although they don't seem to have taken that into account. I think I will email them, but I'm mindful of what must be limited places in halls. I'm afraid I might have to suck it up and deal with it. At least it'll be cheaper than the newer blocks :/ Let me know what you end up doing, I have until the 12th to decide
Reply 4
She's accepted Muirhead and there's an active Facebook group for Muirhead if you fancy joining that, my daughter did tonight and is glad she did.

Send me a PM and I'll let you know her room number and email address
Original post by MoodyM
She's accepted Muirhead and there's an active Facebook group for Muirhead if you fancy joining that, my daughter did tonight and is glad she did.

Send me a PM and I'll let you know her room number and email address

I accepted too today, I'll join the facebook group now.

I got your PM and I'm about to reply, thanks for the help and advice! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest