The Student Room Group

Taking CompSci without a GCSE?

I wanted to take computer science at GCSE level but there was a timetable clash. I have no notable experience in computer science - I just think it plays to my strengths and would be nice to keep open as a career prospect. So is it wise for me to take AQA Computing? Computer science students, do you think you'd stand a chance without any prior background in the subject?
Reply 1
Original post by Devenir
I wanted to take computer science at GCSE level but there was a timetable clash. I have no notable experience in computer science - I just think it plays to my strengths and would be nice to keep open as a career prospect. So is it wise for me to take AQA Computing? Computer science students, do you think you'd stand a chance without any prior background in the subject?

Yes. GCSE Computing was only started about 5 years ago (though years ago there was an O level in it) and so until recently the majority of students started with the A level.
Yeah just make sure to do some extra work at home to learn coding and work hard and you will be fine,
Reply 3
AS computing is super easy if a bit dull. A2 is fairly interesting and challenging. No one at our school did the GCSE and most of us have A/B at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest