xaBu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am enrolled to Science with an Integrated Foundation Year.
I just checked course unit information on my.manchester.ac.uk:

Chemistry 1 - Mandatory - Semester 1
Chemistry 2 - Mandatory
Chemistry 3 - Mandatory
Matter and Energy Phys 1 - Mandatory - Semester 1
Waves and Particles Phys 3 - Mandatory
Further Physics Phys 4 - Mandatory
World of the Electron Phys 2 - Mandatory - Semester 1
Mathematics 0B1 - Mandatory - Semester 1
Mathematics 0B2 - Mandatory
Mathematics 0F2 - Mandatory
Mathematics 0J2 - Mandatory
Mathematics 0N1 - Mandatory - Semester 1
Mathematics 0D2 - Mandatory

Is this a mistake ? because i don't anything related to chemistry as I haven't studied in the past and also i am not interested at all. I read on forums that I could choose one from Physics/Chemistry but in this list it says that both are mandatory... please help me out on this as i am really confused now
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry, those are all of the courses available on the foundation year. The system automatically enrols everybody in every unit to begin with, it will eventually update to only show the units you're actually taking. The same thing happened to me when I did the foundation year.
xaBu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Could you tell me, how easy did you find the foundation year, also i don't know neither physics nor chemistry, which one do you think i will find easier? and also how many hours did you put in your studies at home per day?
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xaBu)
Could you tell me, how easy did you find the foundation year, also i don't know neither physics nor chemistry, which one do you think i will find easier? and also how many hours did you put in your studies at home per day?
It was quite intensive and easy to let things get on top of you if you didn't keep up but I didn't find it too difficult, generally. Most of it is high school level stuff, after all.

It's difficult to say which you'd find easier out of physics and chemistry as I don't know you, I've also never taken chemistry beyond GCSE so I don't really know what it's like. If you're going into Computer Science, I'd say that physics is perhaps a bit more relevant. I hadn't taken physics before and I actually found the foundation year units easier than the maths ones.

I have no idea how many hours per day I studied on average, I'm bad at structuring things like that so it varied wildly. I pretty much always had a piece of work to do or test to prepare for but they weren't usually that difficult so I didn't have to spend overly long studying at home. As I said above, it can be easy to let things get on top of you if you procrastinate or don't turn up to lectures etc. but if you avoid those sorts of things, you'll be fine. For what it's worth, I found the foundation year significantly easier than my first year of engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads