RS or Philosophy and ethics Alevel? Watch

Sowercherry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I honestly can't decide! It's really annoying me because I can't take both! Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated. The exam board for both is OCR

Thanks
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sowercherry)
I honestly can't decide! It's really annoying me because I can't take both! Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated. The exam board for both is OCR

Thanks
Philosophy and Ethics is RS A level, it's just that units you study are the philosophy and ethics ones, not the ones relating to a specific religion. You need to discover which units you'd be studying if you picked RS.
quentinhamilton
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aren't they practically the same?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by quentinhamilton)
Aren't they practically the same?
Philo/Ethics is basically the study of Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics, more pointing to the Judaeo-Christian God and a little bit of Catholicism when looking at Kant and etc.

RS has units such as Hindu, Judaism and things like that. It looks at specific religions. There's also an AS and A2 unit soley devoted to the Bible as well!
quentinhamilton
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Philo/Ethics is basically the study of Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics, more pointing to the Judaeo-Christian God and a little bit of Catholicism when looking at Kant and etc.

RS has units such as Hindu, Judaism and things like that. It looks at specific religions. There's also an AS and A2 unit soley devoted to the Bible as well!
Oh... I done AS religious studies when I was in year 10 and I remember the units being philosophy and ethics so we didn't study Hinduism, Judaism etc. Instead we looked at the problem of evil and suffering, the design argument/cosmological argument, utilitarianism, just war etc. (Exam board was Edexcel)
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by quentinhamilton)
Oh... I done AS religious studies when I was in year 10 and I remember the units being philosophy and ethics so we didn't study Hinduism, Judaism etc. Instead we looked at the problem of evil and suffering, the design argument/cosmological argument, utilitarianism, just war etc. (Exam board was Edexcel)
That's basically Philo/Ethics. But I did the same hing, but with OCR and my official title is still Religious Studies.

Philosophy as a subject is more about things like theory of knowledge, truth tables, utilitariansm, animal rights, environmental ethics, Death and Reincarnaton, God and problem of evil and etc etc. But you just don't apply any of those topics to a particular religion. When you do, that's when it becomes Religious Studies.
flamboy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
they're the same thing in my school
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sowercherry)

Thanks
These are very different subjects. Philosophy and ethics will (assuming its taught as analytic and not continental) be a very logic-based course, focusing on the different theories of human value.

What are you interested in studying?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (169)
35.5%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.53%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.99%