Will I get in to any Medical School in Scotland with 3 As and 2 Bs at Higher? Watch

redddddd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help, it would be great if you can help me out. I just got 3 As and 2 Bs in Scottish Highers and I really wanted to go in medicine. After doing research I have found out that all the Scottish Universities except Dundee require at least 4 As and a B to consider your application. But I talked to two Dundee medical students last year and they said that the least they heard anyone get in at Dundee was with 4 As and a B.

Do you think I should take a chance and apply there or do you know of anyone who got in with the grades that I have? Will other universities even consider my application as they say their minimum requirement is 4 As and a B?
Moreover even if I apply will I have a chance because I have not ever really volunteered anywhere or had a job. I have read successful personal statements and they state that they have done Duke of Edinburgh, been volunteering for years at care homes and brownies etc.
I have honestly been trying to find volunteering and job opportunities since last year but I have been very unlucky.
But I have shadowed a GP, a medical student and attended Medical insight which was a week worth of shadowing at a hospital in different specialties.

Thank you.
Even a tiny bit of help/advice will be very appreciated because I have no one right now to give me any sort of advice.
username600675
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey unfortunately yeah the minimum is AAAAB but even then most applicants do have 5As. Realistically you are at a disadvantage but if you were to get good results in 6th year you could apply after a year out. I think the best would be to focus on next years results and apply then, with more highers/advanced highers to back you up. This would also give you an extra year to try get more experience, and even a part time job (or full time in a year out) would be of advantage to you if you can relate any of the skills required to medicine (even waiter/waitressing or retail work - communication, working as part of a team, initiative, problem solving etc.)

I didn't get in the first time round with AAAAB. I reapplied during my gap year and got into two unis. Hope that helps.
username600675
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
also have you tried charity shops? they are usually looking for volunteers
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm trying not to sound brutal here, but it is pointless for you to apply in scotland this year. 80% of applicants have 5As (according to Edinburgh) so you won't have much of a chance.

You could email the schools and see if they would overlook your s5 if you achieved AAA at AH?

Fortunately for us scots, English unis don't understand our system and see AHs as equal to A levels. So if you apply down there you should have more luck, particularly in the above scenario
TaraHeneghan98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so I know it's really late but I had AAABB with Bs in Biology and Maths. If you work hard on your UKCAT its not impossible, I was rejected from Dundee but got an interview for Aberdeen (entry requirements AAAAB) which didn't go well but it was my first interview. I've now got 2 conditional offers for Barts and St George's in London for AA at advanced higher and an A in higher chemistry. Maybe look further from home bc that seems to have worked for me in the end...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads